Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Argument for fiber optics on a carry gun?

Argument for fiber optics on a carry gun?

The Tom Givens article and discussion thread got me thinking about sights on a carry gun.
    It seems to me that his data on lighting conditions would favor fiber optic sights over night sights.
    Nothing shows up better under moderate/dim lighting conditions than a bright fiber optic sight.
    Something like HD's might be a good compromise, but they're nowhere near the brightness of FO's under typical stop&rob parking lot lighting.
    Thoughts?
    I think the best option for a nightstand pistol would still be night sights for locating the gun in the dark and since your house is familiar territory, darkness is to your advantage.
    So having sights that you can see in the dark would allow you to maximize that advantage.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    The Tom Givens article and discussion thread got me thinking about sights on a carry gun.
    It seems to me that his data on lighting conditions would favor fiber optic sights over night sights.
    Nothing shows up better under moderate/dim lighting conditions than a bright fiber optic sight.
    Something like HD's might be a good compromise, but they're nowhere near the brightness of FO's under typical stop&rob parking lot lighting.
    Thoughts?
    I think the best option for a nightstand pistol would still be night sights for locating the gun in the dark and since your house is familiar territory, darkness is to your advantage.
    So having sights that you can see in the dark would allow you to maximize that advantage.
    Very cool you started this thread. I am thinking the same thing. I notice that within the Rangemaster data set, long distance shooting is more likely than necessity for flashlights or night sights. I look forward to the discussion! Actually running FOs on my carry stuff right now.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

That stuff will getcha killed on the streets. I know the conventional wisdom is that they're "too delicate" for carry use, but I've no real practical first hand experience with them in that capacity.

I know my 57 y/o eyes like 'em. So much easier to pick up.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

On one hand I see the benefits and the reasoning of running FO - Ability to run a thinner front sight leading to better accuracy, and that its going to be illuminated either by ambient light, secondary lighting from a flashlight, or backlit.

On the other, theres something to be said for HD's cause they're big stout and still give you a big reference point for indexing on target quickly.

I played around with FO Warrens after talking in depth with Paul Sharp, who runs FO fronts on his duty gun.

Somehow I just don't trust the idea of having something that can easily break off of my front sight post. The last thing I want in a confrontation is to be searching for a green or red fiber and suddenly realizing its not there. Can I make do? yes. But I'd rather it not happen in the first place.
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    If they were sturdy I'd run them. I have seen many break in conditions I would describe as "not even a little harsh".

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

FO's work fine for most defensive purposes--the pistol is in a holster, so the risk if damaging the front sight is low in normal CCW use.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I have taken to using a green FO and painting the front sight orange, making for good contrast with the FO and a fine back-up in the element fails. Heinie tritium on left, FO on right:

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I don't see much wrong with the logic, other than that my main takeaway from the givens data is that I should avoid preoccupation with incidental increments. Guilty, though.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I ran the vtac sights for a bit trying out the concept. While the FO was good enough in street lit night conditions, variability of shadow, vehicles, structures etc really made me appreciate the additional tritium stack. But the FO wouldn't stand up to use, even though it was potted in epoxy. Competition use only for me until better proven.

I am not the action user of many here, but I do know--for myself--that FO front sights took 20 years off my eyes. I love 'em. I do not chase people into holes, and I am never without a flashlight. As well, I honestly can't remember the last time I was in real darkness, aside from camping--and I often have a long arm nearby when in the sticks.

OMMV based on need. For this low speed citizen, I'm sold. Cool thread, Jody.

User Tag List