Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Argument for fiber optics on a carry gun?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I think if you buy a good set of fiber optics it isnt a huge deal on a carry gun that spends the majority of its time in a holster. Worst case scenario the fiber breaks and you have a black on black set up... not the end of the world.
    This was the conclusion I came to as well, so I completely agree, just looking for others experience to validate.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Thanks for checking it out!

Not that I buy from OpticsPlanets but I assume these are just the front sights (or at least they advertise them as such) - http://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon...t-outline.html

I would love a type of combo where you have the front sight HD's and rear sight is a single dot or like (like XS sights) or possibly completely flat...

Yup, but I can only find it sold separately like that for Glocks. Based on market share alone, I understand if they only do that for Glocks, but maybe I'm just not finding the HK fronts. I'll have to call Trijicon and ask. I'm going to pick up a second VP9 soon, so I've got a 10-8 FO front on the way to try for myself.

there is a video where larry vickers talks about how he uses a HD front and a black out rear.

Video link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stEHOqRnrLE
    Not a fan of LV, and thanks for the video.

Being able to accurately shoot at 25 yards is important enough to me that I require some accuracy standard from the sights I use, so having a rear black sight that accepts the HD front is required.

Maybe something I'll have to research.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

there is a video where larry vickers talks about how he uses a HD front and a black out rear.

Video link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stEHOqRnrLE

And this was the best solution I've come up with if I want the HD's. I currently have the stock HK sights, with the rear dots blacked out with a sharpie, and the front painted orange. Works in the meantime. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't care for the HD rear sight design, but I could probably live with it.

As a responsible armed citizen who spends the majority of dark nights in my house I have no issue using black on black sights (defoors at the moment) since they allow me to make more accurate distance shots and shots on movers. These two things trump my need to have a sight that illuminates at low light. I compensate by carrying a flashlight 24/7. This would obviously change if I did a job like Chuck where I have no idea what I might run into, like searching a dark home at noon, in this case I would want any advantage I could get. Just like everything else, mission drives the gear.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Not a fan of LV, and thanks for the video.

Being able to accurately shoot at 25 yards is important enough to me that I require some accuracy standard from the sights I use, so having a rear black sight that accepts the HD front is required.

Maybe something I'll have to research.
    Ya no doubt, I am sure that the guys at ameriglo would be willing to atleast discuss it. Maybe getting as wide a possible rear sight or having someone who is handy file out the rear notch...

Ya no doubt, I am sure that the guys at ameriglo would be willing to atleast discuss it. Maybe getting as wide a possible rear sight or having someone who is handy file out the rear notch...
    I'll have to send them an email.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Josh, care to share your experiences, data points, and general thoughts nine months later?
    I haven't been as good at performance tracking recently, so I'll just give you my subjective impressions.

I much prefer the sight picture that a thin (.105-.110) front sight provides. This is only possible with black or FO sights.

I find a FO front to be the easiest front sight to pick up quickly and track in recoil as long as there is enough light to make the FO work properly.

There are definitely some lighting scenarios where having at least a tritium front sight is a benefit and will make more accurate shooting possible when a flashlight isn't used. However, in these lighting scenarios it's still possible to get hits with a FO front if you have a good index.

I had zero durability issues and only changed the FO rod when I noticed it didn't work as well because it was dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I don't see that Jody ever took the plunge, but for anyone that did, your feedback is welcome, too.
    Actually I have one VP9 with HD's and another with Dawson FO's.
    I've been alternating between the two for practice and matches and decided the HD style tritium sights are the winners for CCW.
    When I set up my new Glock 26 for carry, it ended up with a Ameriglo Orange ProGlo Square front and Pro Operator yellow tritium rears.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

The Ameriglo Hack sights are basically a Trijicon HD front with a serrated black rear.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I haven't been as good at performance tracking recently, so I'll just give you my subjective impressions.

I much prefer the sight picture that a thin (.105-.110) front sight provides. This is only possible with black or FO sights.

I find a FO front to be the easiest front sight to pick up quickly and track in recoil as long as there is enough light to make the FO work properly.

There are definitely some lighting scenarios where having at least a tritium front sight is a benefit and will make more accurate shooting possible when a flashlight isn't used. However, in these lighting scenarios it's still possible to get hits with a FO front if you have a good index.

I had zero durability issues and only changed the FO rod when I noticed it didn't work as well because it was dirty.
    Thanks Josh, that's great info, and exactly what I was looking for. Good to hear about the durability not being an issue as well. I had a set of plain black Warrens on a G19 about 6 years ago, can't remember the front blade width, but it was the thinest I've ever used. I ended up really liking the sight picture it provided. I get a .156 wide notch rear to get as much light as I can on either side of the thicker tritium fronts, but I'd prefer more so I know I'll like the thinner FO too.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Actually I have one VP9 with HD's and another with Dawson FO's.
    I've been alternating between the two for practice and matches and decided the HD style tritium sights are the winners for CCW.
    When I set up my new Glock 26 for carry, it ended up with a Ameriglo Orange ProGlo Square front and Pro Operator yellow tritium rears.
    Thanks Jody. Also excellent information. I have a 10-8 .115 FO coming for a VP9 and plan on buying a second VP9 soon, so I'll probably end up doing the same thing as you to find my preference as well. Seems like the logical way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    The Ameriglo Hack sights are basically a Trijicon HD front with a serrated black rear.
    I've seen them, and I would try a set, but they're currently only made for Glocks.

User Tag List