Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Argument for fiber optics on a carry gun?

Speaking of .115 width sights has anyone ever seen any tritium sights available in that width, or is it impossible due to lamp width? I've searched high and low and can't find any, might just be that my search skills suck though. I really dig the thinner front sight.

Pretty sure those are too skinny for tritium
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I have a couple Glocks with the all black 10-8 rear and HD front but haven't shot them at 25yds to see how they work together. Hoping to do that in a couple weeks.

Also, since the FO getting dirty was mentioned... Has anyone else noticed the coating on the HD front seems to resist getting dirty better than other sights? A couple friends and I noticed that on our G21's. With regular Trijicons the front sight is filthy quickly - especially with 45ACp.

Just as a comment regarding FO durability:

I use a FO front (Warren Tactical: FO front, black rear) on both my competition gun and my carry gun. In years of shooting and a combined total of over 40,000, I've never broken one on either gun.

Matter of fact, as they do become dull over time and lots and lots of shooting, I've had to cut them free several times to replace them with new fibers. Initially I had just expected to replace them when they broke, but they never broke.

So---YMMV regarding breakage. Holsters with a good front sight channel and shooters with the ability to not bash their front sights into things will help, I'm guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Speaking of .115 width sights has anyone ever seen any tritium sights available in that width, or is it impossible due to lamp width? I've searched high and low and can't find any, might just be that my search skills suck though. I really dig the thinner front sight.
    Most of the thinnest tritium front sights commercially available seem to be .125" in width.

Ameriglo's T-CAP (thin CAP) is supposed to be .120" in width.

I have seen people talk on the internet about special order tritium front sights .115" wide from a company called Tool Tech and they cost a lot. No experience with those myself.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Since we seem to be drifting a little bit, I'll add some spin to the boat on the issue of thin tritium. I have a TCAP front on my G30S, mated to "Operator" rear yellow lamp sights. My observation in dim light is that the smaller front tritium lamp is harder to focus on due to larger/brighter lamps in the rears. I think the various thin tritium sights, like FO fronts, work out best with non-illuminated rear sights, at least for me. Of course, my favorite sight set up continues to be Pro-Glo front mated to Operator rears, just can't bring myself to switch out to FO...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I have a TCAP front on my G30S, mated to "Operator" rear yellow lamp sights. My observation in dim light is that the smaller front tritium lamp is harder to focus on due to larger/brighter lamps in the rears.
    Completely agree with you there. The last set of night sights I was working with was that exact combo - T-CAP front with yellow Operator rear. The front dot, which is smaller on the T-CAP than the .125"-wide front night sights, was very hard for me to see. Whenever I decide to go back to night sights (I assume I will change my mind again someday) I don't think I will want that tiny lamp.
    Lord of the Food Court

I wouldn't use the T-Cap with a regular tritium front sight, the rear dots would be bigger than the front dot, that's a real problem in the dark.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I wouldn't use the T-Cap with a regular tritium front sight, the rear dots would be bigger than the front dot, that's a real problem in the dark.
    That was true for me even with the (already a bit smaller and dimmer) yellow tritium lamps on the Operator rear sight. I felt like that was maybe part of the problem, but more fundamentally, the front dot on the T-CAP was so small and dim that it was just plain hard for me to see.
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    That was true for me even with the (already a bit smaller and dimmer) yellow tritium lamps on the Operator rear sight. I felt like that was maybe part of the problem, but more fundamentally, the front dot on the T-CAP was so small and dim that it was just plain hard for me to see.
    Even normal three dot tritium sets, where all three lamps are the same size, have this problem. The front instantly becomes smaller and dimmer due to depth. Even before I didn't know what I didn't know, the only thing I knew for a fact was that I disliked three dot tritium sights. I lean more to the knuckle dragger side, but my mind just can't process those sights with any sort of definitive confidence and quickness.

User Tag List