Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 12GA anti-material rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/h_brenneke_facts.html

The original Brenneke KO (SL-122KO) uses a 1 oz slug--I purchased a case of this a couple of months ago: http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/ko.html

The very nice Brenneke Tactical Home Defense uses a 1 oz slug: http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/l_tac...e_defense.html (my favorite current Brenneke load)

Likewise the old unparalleled Rottweil Brenneke MP load used a 1 oz slug (I still have a case left--it is my go to load for serious work).

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...or-LE-duty-use

Federal Truball Deep Penetrator (PB127 DPRS) is my favorite slug if I cannot get a good Brenneke load.
    Okay, Necro post. I just picked up an old school HK marked Benelli M1 Super 90 Defense. This was a gun I spent a decade as my go to and a gun I shot a ton. I always used full power 00 or 000 buck or Rottweil Brenneke Slugs. My old one would shoot 50 yard clover leafs with the Rottweil Brenneke. So......being I have transitioned to most of the low recoil Federal 00 buck and slugs when I went to an 870 as my primary, I am a bit out of current knowledge on the Brenneke stuff. What is the difference in the new stuff from the old Rottweil load, and what is the best bet for a dedicated slug gun. I intend this thing to be mostly run with slugs, and always had stellar luck with the Brenneke's and the M1 Super 90's as a great combo for both performance and reliability.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This is what I was leaning to based on what I have seen you post on. So are these just a bit heavier version than the old Rottweil load?
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I just picked up an old school HK marked Benelli M1 Super 90 Defense.
    Congrats.
    I felt lucky to have found an 18(.5?)" with rifle sights on the used rack at a Scheel's a couple years ago. It was mis-tagged as a 20" rifled barrel.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

This is what I was leaning to based on what I have seen you post on. So are these just a bit heavier version than the old Rottweil load?
    Darryl, I have been using this same load for 20 years. The box design changed slightly, but to my knowledge that is the only change. This is the same load the AK wildlife troopers use up here.

As a lower cost practice load, the 2.75 Winchester Foster slug hits the same POI as the Brenneke 2.75 Classic Magnum, and hits your shoulder just as hard.

I use a 25 yard initial zero, which is a tad high at 50, back on about 75, and dropping a few inches at 100. I have a rifle sighted Super 90, and the elevation is perfect at 25 with the fixed rifle sights. JDM has the twin to this shotgun. One of them went to Zambia with me, and I had it on a lion hunt, and used it to follow up a big, blond maned lion (that expired from one shot of .375 Trophy Bonded.)

Thanks, that is what I needed. I am ditching the factory +4 extension for the +2 from the entry gun r better balance. I think I will SBR it as well as the 14" rifle sight barrels tend to be out there. I can run the longer barrel if I am out of Texas, and the shorty in state.

Thanks, that is what I needed. I am ditching the factory +4 extension for the +2 from the entry gun r better balance. I think I will SBR it as well as the 14" rifle sight barrels tend to be out there. I can run the longer barrel if I am out of Texas, and the shorty in state.
    It has always bugged me how you can push on the end of the Benelli extended mag tube and disassemble it. I would consider replacing it with a Nordic, and that will give you a pad for a sling and light.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Darryl, I have been using this same load for 20 years. The box design changed slightly, but to my knowledge that is the only change. This is the same load the AK wildlife troopers use up here.

As a lower cost practice load, the 2.75 Winchester Foster slug hits the same POI as the Brenneke 2.75 Classic Magnum, and hits your shoulder just as hard.

I use a 25 yard initial zero, which is a tad high at 50, back on about 75, and dropping a few inches at 100. I have a rifle sighted Super 90, and the elevation is perfect at 25 with the fixed rifle sights. JDM has the twin to this shotgun. One of them went to Zambia with me, and I had it on a lion hunt, and used it to follow up a big, blond maned lion (that expired from one shot of .375 Trophy Bonded.)
    Necro...sorry.

The paper disks either wide of the felt wad are now plastic and secured by a screw through the felt and disks to the back of the slug. This is the latest alteration I'm aware of. They are scary accurate, much more so than the special forces red slug or federal dp I tried.

I remember Doc talking about Brenneke USA sourcing their ammo manufacturer from elsewhere, and the QC going down hill... Is that still the case? Saw some YouTube videos of the SF slug where the base separated in slow-mo videos most of the time, this could be an issue with accuracy as the wad acts like the feathers on an arrow if I'm not mistaken.

Found a local source for the "home defense" ammo, and am considering buying more.

Finally made it to the range today with my local source Brenneeke Tactical Home Defense slugs. Awesome accuracy, cloverleafs at 25 yards and I'm in no way a great shooter. This was with a 18.5" Remington 870 barrel with XS sights and IC choke. Groups opened up a little with my cyl. Mossberg, but I'm sold. Was concerned as the crimp was a bit sloppy, but no issues with function or accuracy.

User Tag List