Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 12GA anti-material rifle?

I got to play in a junk yard but with a 7.62Rshort in the 80`s using china copper wash steel core. well the whole bullet was steel not just the core LOL.
    anyway it would pass through both doors with ease. also shot from front to back and if the engine didn't block the load it would pass all the way

I was going to blow up the car by shooting tracers in the gas tank. all it did was leak gas .

I really thought it would blow up. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    A few years ago we tested a variety of loads against the 0.375" triple laminated glass used on transit vehicles in the area. The only projectiles that were able to successfully penetrate offer acceptable terminal performance were the Federal .308 TBBC and the 1 oz Brenneke slugs. Everything else failed, including all the 5.56 mm loads we fired...
    Doc, I thought the Federal Deep Penetrator was your preferred slug?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Can you expand on that?
    I'd put 3 in a good group and then the 4th would be 5 inches away away 50 yards or so. Very erratic. Also, penetration on trees and the like didn't impress me at all. All around just....meh. I have also read of hunters who got poor blood trails and kills from them.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The 1 oz slugs do everything needed of a slug, not sure the benefits of this new one for 90% of uses...
    Which slug from brenneke did you test? If I'm not mistaken all of their slugs are over an ounce. I'm not trying to be an ass or quibble a detail. I just want to know which slugs were tested since brenneke offers so many flavors and couldn't find a 1 ounce slug from them to correlate.

Effect on MRAPs?

From Brenneke USA website:

It is noted both the Heavy Field short Magnum and the Special Forces Short Magnum have similar ballistics?
    This is correct. From a marketing standpoint we feel it is necessary to offer this slug and be able to direct it to the two different markets, Hunting and Law Enforcement and Military. The difference is in the color of the coating used on the slug and the package.

In a recent product evaluation test done for us by an outside company specializing in ammunition performance, it was proven this slug outperformed all of our competitors by a large margin in both penetration and accuracy. This slug penetrated two10% FBI gelatin blocks 34.9 inches with a 1.6 inch 5 shot group at 50 yards and slightly over 2 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards, The closest competitor’s penetration using the same test was only 29 inches, and all of the rest were no more then 11 to 18 inches. When the different slugs were recovered from the gelatin blocks, only the Brenneke USA 1 ¼ oz. Slug maintained its original shape. All of the competitors slugs expanded, losing penetration. The expansion of the olther slugs varied from 0.654 to the Brenneke’s expansion of 2.275 inches. The recovered slugs retained weight loss varied from 72.03% to 99.46% in the Brenneke USA slug.

With these results, we decided this slug offered both the hunter and the law enforcement and military personnel an outstanding slug for the different purposes and intended use. This is the reason why we chose to market it somewhat differently and not change any of the ballistics. This slug may also be used in either a smooth or rifle barrel shotgun.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

For those interested in more info, with comparisons of various Brenneke and competitor slugs:

http://brennekeusa.com/cms/fileadmin..._catalogue.pdf
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I'd put 3 in a good group and then the 4th would be 5 inches away away 50 yards or so. Very erratic. Also, penetration on trees and the like didn't impress me at all. All around just....meh. I have also read of hunters who got poor blood trails and kills from them.

Thanks

The ddupleks has an expanding model and the monolit. The expanding model is gimmicky.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Which slug from brenneke did you test? If I'm not mistaken all of their slugs are over an ounce. I'm not trying to be an ass or quibble a detail. I just want to know which slugs were tested since brenneke offers so many flavors and couldn't find a 1 ounce slug from them to correlate.
    Most likely the Brenneke Tactical Home Defense slug; DocGKR has mentioned it in the 12 gauge duty load thread.

User Tag List