Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 12GA anti-material rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by christopher.day View Post
    I attended Kyle Lamb's Street Fighter class last year and as part of the course he gave a lecture/demo about penetrating car doors. We put different types of rounds of various calibers through a car door with targets behind it to show how car doors did 'weird' things to bullets and their trajectories. As a final demonstration, he put a Brenneke slug through the door. No deviation whatsoever with complete penetration and passed through the target at the expected spot. Definitely impressive.
    We did the same at a VTAC course. Except a federal truball slug was used. Entry was 90 degree angle into front lower one third of bmw 3 series drivers door. Exit was lower front third of passenger rear door. Cars do crazy stuff to bullets.

Not sure what I would do with such a thing, but I want. I could probably see something of a car-trip long arm loaded with these.

This afternoon, my wife shot her 20 gauge, youth model 870. She prefers the smaller youth model, even though it kicks more than a heavier shotgun, because it is light enough she can hold it with one hand doing manipulations. It is a tricked out little shotgun, cut down and set up by Jim Brockman with aperture sights.

She loads it with Brenneke Classic Magnum, one ounce, three inch slugs. Comparing them to my 1 1/8 ounce 12 gauge Classic Magnum slugs, I wonder if the 20 gauge slugs have better sectional density. In any event, I think either the 12 or 20 Brenneke slugs would do an equal job getting through a bear's skull.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

NJI purchased some of these maximum barrier slugs and have put them through a railroad tie. It blew through no problem. Winchester 1 oz slugs only made it about 4-5 inches. It also went straight through the disc of a g35. Which is a pretty beefy piece of steel.

In brenneke's advertising they show the maximum barrier being able to defeat a level 3a vest at 8 yards or closer.

I have a lot of the special forces short magnum, and about 25 of the maximum barrier left these will only be shot in a life or death situation in the future. They are not any fun to shoot. If anyone has the ability to do some good barrier test's and post a video I would send them some of the short magnums and maximum penetration slugs.

This interests me a great deal.

I've also been looking at trying some of these lately; http://ddupleks.com/index.php/en/127...onolit-32.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    This interests me a great deal.

I've also been looking at trying some of these lately; http://ddupleks.com/index.php/en/127...onolit-32.html
    The ddupleks slugs didn't impress me at all. I tried some a few years back.

Anyone want to comment on this from my earlier post:

She loads it with Brenneke Classic Magnum, one ounce, three inch slugs. Comparing them to my 1 1/8 ounce 12 gauge Classic Magnum slugs, I wonder if the 20 gauge slugs have better sectional density.

Would a 20 gauge Brenneke have better sectional density than the 12 gauge slug, and thus penetrate better than a 12 gauge Brenneke slug? If so, you could carry around a lighter in weight, less recoiling shotgun in bear country.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Anyone want to comment on this from my earlier post:

She loads it with Brenneke Classic Magnum, one ounce, three inch slugs. Comparing them to my 1 1/8 ounce 12 gauge Classic Magnum slugs, I wonder if the 20 gauge slugs have better sectional density.

Would a 20 gauge Brenneke have better sectional density than the 12 gauge slug, and thus penetrate better than a 12 gauge Brenneke slug? If so, you could carry around a lighter in weight, less recoiling shotgun in bear country.
    If my math holds up, a one oz 20 ga slug would have a slightly higher sectional density than a 1.125 oz 12 ga slug, assuming perfectly round slugs and flat ogives.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    The ddupleks slugs didn't impress me at all. I tried some a few years back.

Can you expand on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Can you expand on that?
    Pretty sure they're solid slugs, so probably not.

/rimshot

User Tag List