Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12GA anti-material rifle?

12GA anti-material rifle?

Brenneke Maximum Barrier Penetration

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/filea...nformation.pdf

(.pdf)

I've got some inbound. I'll shoot some generally bulletproof things and report back.

At any rate, discuss...
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Holy poop.

That engine block photo certainly gains my attention. I'll be interested in your test results.

Can't wait. Perhaps in this thread there may be some others with Brenneke experience to add in comparisons with their other offerings.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I attended Kyle Lamb's Street Fighter class last year and as part of the course he gave a lecture/demo about penetrating car doors. We put different types of rounds of various calibers through a car door with targets behind it to show how car doors did 'weird' things to bullets and their trajectories. As a final demonstration, he put a Brenneke slug through the door. No deviation whatsoever with complete penetration and passed through the target at the expected spot. Definitely impressive.

My "go to" round for breaking things is a Brenneke Special Forces Short Magnum.
    1 1/4 oz. hard slug at 1500fps.
    I've shot it clean through both doors of a early '80's pickup and into a target on the backside.
    Awesome penetration while not deviating off course.
    Very stout recoil though, without solid technique you taste blood.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

12GA anti-material rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    My "go to" round for breaking things is a Brenneke Special Forces Short Magnum.
    1 1/4 oz. hard slug at 1500fps.
    I've shot it clean through both doors of a early '80's pickup and into a target on the backside.
    Awesome penetration while not deviating off course.
    Very stout recoil though, without solid technique you taste blood.

I've shot lots of these...agree on the technique bit. Before Tom showed me the "push pull" thing, shooting slugs sucked.

I suspect 1 3/8oz of lead at 1650 is going to suck, regardless of technique.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

A few years ago we tested a variety of loads against the 0.375" triple laminated glass used on transit vehicles in the area. The only projectiles that were able to successfully penetrate offer acceptable terminal performance were the Federal .308 TBBC and the 1 oz Brenneke slugs. Everything else failed, including all the 5.56 mm loads we fired...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

There is, or was in times past, a detailed document on the Brenneke web site comparing the penetration of their slugs. As I recall, the SF and Classic Magnum essentially penetrated equally. I have used cases of Classic Magnum 2.75 slugs over the last 15 years with complete satisfaction in a variety of shotguns.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I bought two boxes a while back. I drilled a couple holes through a railroad tie and a 12" oak tree.

This was out of a topper slug gun, I shot 6 rounds and gave the last 4 away, the recoil was fierce and I had had enough of that. Not retina detaching .577NE bad, but it was up there.

The 1 oz slugs do everything needed of a slug, not sure the benefits of this new one for 90% of uses...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List