Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Philosophy on fisticuffs?

I've trained in wrestling and Japanese grappling through what would be now called mixed martial arts.

If I found myself pinned by a younger, stronger assailant with my head being beaten against concrete, I'd shoot/knife him, whichever method I could reach more quickly. The world ain't a pretty place sometimes.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Boxing with some form of grappling will put you WELL ahead of the game. Get the mechanics well solidified and if you can fit in some semi-regular training, you'll be in pretty good shape. Physical conditioning and size play a big role as well.

I've found that a good working technical knowledge of BJJ had definitely helped to get position on people on the ground, even against MMA fighters (amateurs) who've had HS wrestling backgrounds. I think the sweeps and fighting from the back help a lot and are not ubiquitous in grappling.
    I like this advice.

IMO, if you liked judo and wanted to do more of it, I'd do that, supplement with boxing, and rock on.

I was originally a kickboxer with a very small amount of ground fighting (we had an incredibly forward-thinking school back in the 90s, run by a commercial fisherman with a lot of gigantic shiny belts) and worked the door at some very sketchy bars.

It was enough to handle the overwhelming majority of aggressive guys.

Of course, Les Nesman with a year of grappling and boxing might still find himself getting wrecked by an unskilled but mildly experienced thug with a bit of killer instinct. I believe mental conditioning wins more fights than any particular skillset.

ECQC etc can definitely get you started on the mental conditioning aspect. As well as the grappling, of course.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Find a teacher that knows their stuff-I'm less concerned with style and more concerned with the mindset of the teacher and the dedication of the student body. This might take a while, but shouldn't cost much. I'll let anyone sign a waiver and try the first class on me. Then try to apply all of this (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?p=237134 ) while you're learning techniques and your head will swell along with your skills. ECQC is a great test of how you're coming along.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Whatever you do, make sure it involves some unscripted, full speed contact. I farted around with "classical mess" foolishness for a number of years where an inordinate amount of time was devoted to, and pride taken in, stopping short of hitting people while dancing about, which is absolutely of no use whatsoever. Started Thai Boxing; one of the important lessons you quickly learn is if you keep your chin down and your hands up and get smacked good the world doesn't end. Indeed, any course of martial study that does not have you solving problems under pressure in real time is best avoided, IMO.
    "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters."

Frank Lloyd Wright

The gym I go to is a "freestyle" MMA gym which is about 33% Wrestling/Judo, 33% MMA-Jiu-Jitsu and 33% Boxing/Muay-Thai.
    The wrestling/Judo teaches you how to defend against takedowns and how to do takedowns. Has a lot of real world applications.
    The MMA-BJJ is great for defense and attack if you end up on the ground. Unlike traditional BJJ the MMA-BJJ emphasizes defending against strikes.
    The Muay-Thai and traditional Boxing gives you a solid base if the fight stays standing.

The real benefit I've received is surprisingly not the skills, to me the real benefit is my increased comfort level under extreme mental and physical pressure.
    I've had a full slam double leg takedown done to me by a high level college wrestler.
    I've been smashed flat by someone who weighs 75# more than me who's trying to choke me unconscious.
    I've been backed into a corner and pummeled by a Golden Gloves boxer.
    It sucked... sometimes it sucked really, really badly.
    But the more exposure I've had to it the more I'm able to control the panic and the greater my ability to think and fight my way out of the crappy hole I've been thrown into.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    But the more exposure I've had to it the more I'm able to control the panic and the greater my ability to think and fight my way out of the crappy hole I've been thrown into.
    I think this is the key. Most people don't know what they don't know. Most people won't get into a confrontation with an MMA champ, golden gloves boxer, etc, but exposure to the problems these skilled people bring to your training is what gets you exposure to solutions.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

^^^I can dig this, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    ECQC taught me not to get involved with fisticuffs.
    Boy Howdy!

Never intentionally get into a hand to hand fight.
    That said some combatives training is good for if you unintentionally get involved.

However personally anyone trying to go hands on with me is going to get shot, unless they withdraw PDQ, and they may get stabbed first, then shot.

A good friend of mine who just retired from a long term LE career pointed out "there is at least one gun at ever call -mine"
    I don't due bars or other areas where the potentially is higher than normal for some sort of physical altercation (unless in uniform).

For combatives stick to stuff that strives on fast destruction of an opponent, and training in your daily gear (pretty useless if the techniques your learning will not work in what you need to wear for work etc.)
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Philosophy on fisticuffs?

Good info here. While I would rather diffuse a situation all together, I'd like to find a good place for some formal training local to me here in Greensboro, NC.

I'd also love to take a SN course, but don't have time to travel to see him, and he's rarely in this area.

While I AM NOT formally trained in hand-to-hand, or EW, I was taught at a very young age to end it as quickly as possible, with as much violence is necessary to stop the attack. Same principle as with a handgun, but a KUT is a different situation. I need more practice.

At this point all I have is will, fitness, and the basic knowledge of how to hurt someone in a fight. I'd like to refine.

ETA- My normal workout is 45-50 minutes on a heavy bag (26-30 sets of striking with all surfaces), followed immediately by a run, 3-4 times a week.
    Last edited by BoppaBear; 07-19-2014 at 05:17 AM.

User Tag List