Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shooting FMJ after lead?

Yeah, bullet casting is one of those side-tracks I never had the slightest interest in pursuing. Helping friends do it was enough to convince me of that.

And of course, bottom feeders are happier with FMJ anyway; and since I stopped competing with a revolver in 1991, my revolver shooting has been much less. I still load .38 Specials, but they are bunny farts for less-painful practice with a Ti-Scan snubby; and I use whatever-is-the-cheapest FMJ or JHP bullet I can find, to minimize the clean-up as much as possible.

I still have memories of a bunch of my fellow State Police Academy classmates and I using an electric drill to speed up the time required to clean our revolvers after a days' training (many hundreds of rounds) using those really dirty .38 reloads provided to us. Fired in our .357-chambered revolvers, they left one hell of a lead ring in the 1/10th of an inch between the case mouth and chamber step in the revolver charge holes, and those were a cast-iron beotch to get out. We would have sold our children for a couple of those stainless .38/.357 chamber brushes Brownell's sells nowadays. Those puppies WORK.

Ken (LSP552) went through the class prior to mine, so I imagine he remembers those dark days as well...

I still use an electric drill to clean revo cylinders.

I heard on the internet that was a good way to ruin a revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    I heard on the internet that was a good way to ruin a revolver.
    I believe you could ruin a gun doing that if you were sloppy and careless. Or didn't use a nylon brush.

You remember the aluminum cleaning rods that used to come with S&W revolvers? The ones with a simple loop bent into one end, with the straight end carrying female threads?

Cut the loop off, and you have a dandy extended brush holder. The aluminum is softer than the cylinder steel, so if you do manage to rub against/score/etc. the sides of the charge holes… no problemo. And we used bronze brushes.

The people who goon up their revolvers cleaning them with a drill are using steel rods, or are trying to do the barrel too.

One other thing; keep the yoke in place if you haven't completely disassembled the cylinder. Otherwise, you stand a good chance of getting some bristles into the cylinder's center interior, caught up between the ejector spring and the center pin. Bad juju down the road…

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I believe you could ruin a gun doing that if you were sloppy and careless. Or didn't use a nylon brush.
    Serious question. How about a bronze brush? I used to use one in an electric drill in a gp100 based on guns store advice before I got nervous about it.

Beats me if it ever did any harm or not - were my revo's charge holes that rough looking before I started doing that? Who knows, it's a Ruger, but it sure was easier to clean that way.

I've seen two guns ruined by shooting jacketed after lead, one a model 66 and the other a Glock 17

I have never seen the need to use a drill on a wheelgun, or any other gun frankly, and I have shot a ton of lead through several of mine over the years.

Lewis Lead remover anyone. I have found that to be a god send. I will say it's still a #$&@ to get rid of the .10 ring in 357 chambers after shooting a ton of plain lead 38s. It's one of the reasons that unless I can't find anything else I will only shoot plated or high tech coated bullets now a days.

I have used the drill trick once years ago when doing the company's inventory annual inspection & cleaning. We used bronze brushes in a cordless drill with the speed dialed way back. I noticed no damage to the chambers.

Today if I come across a particularly hard to remove deposit I will liberally apply a bore cleaning solution, let it sit, use the Lewis Lead remover and then finish up with a patch made up from one of those lead removing cloths on the end of a tight fitting jag. Seems to really get the job done.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

I have never seen the need to use a drill on a wheelgun...
    Well, we did. And we managed to not ruin any revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    Lewis Lead remover anyone.
    Had one, used it, the head broke off inside a charge hole. I think the rubber head was too large, it was an SOB to get it through the holes even with the tension screw backed all the way out. N of 1 and all that, lots of people sing their praises and it did what it was supposed to, albeit being a PITA before it broke.

User Tag List