Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open top duty mag pouches

Open top duty mag pouches

I'm looking for some open top mag pouches for my duty belt. I was looking at the Safariland 775 pouches but I was wanting something that held the mags in a more traditional manner. Anyone have use these? Does the orientation of the mags change the way you would normally sweep for a mag? I am sitting here imagining it and it seems like the traditional mag "sweep" would be alright.

If I were allowed, I'd carry this one: http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=79

Saves a little space and has the front of the magazine facing out, which feels better to me when doing magazine changes. The one I wear at work is identical to this, the model 78, with the addition of retention flaps...because hi-gloss black and flaps looks good...smh.

We just recently went to those (open top). After over a quarter of a century carrying my mags in one particular way it did feel a bit strange at first. When practicing with it I felt like a fumble fingers for a bit, but that passed rather quickly. Some of our guys are bitching about it, but if you give them ice cream they'd complain it was cold. It's not a game changer but I don't have a problem with it.

I've uses both the 79 and 775 on duty with great success. I have seen the model 079

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=079

on a duty belt.....not sure if it is still offered for a 2.25" belt or not.

The beauty of the 775 is that you can carry three magazines in the same belt space as two in a traditional double pouch. The only downside is that there is more tension on the middle magazine than the two outer ones. Not a big deal, but it is noticeable.

If you look closely, you will see that those models above don't have a whole lot below the belt when worn vertically, compared to the flapped versions.

I also use the 775 Triple pouch. Took a little getting used to, but no problem going back and forth between my duty belt and traditional placement & orientation kydex pouches when I'm not wearing the belt.

If you're using a glock, the pouch is not friendly to the vickers baseplates. They all fit together fine, but its a tight squeeze to index mags.

Using a G41, I'm happy to have the extra mag. Just in case.
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

Site Supporter
    I used the bianchi open top ones until we switched to outer vests:

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/974..._-pf_ci_google

They always held secure and took up a little room as possible on the duty belt.

I can't ever recall using flapped pouches for duty. Between leather and nylon / kydex gear, I've used Bianchi (1911, both leather & nylon), Eagle Ind (1911 , M&P) and now Blade-Tech (M&P, G-17) open top magazine pouches. I'm real comfortable with the B-T pouches & tech-lok mounting for uniformed patrol work. While I have co-workers using the different orientation pouches who seem happy with them, I never felt the need to try them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    I have seen the model 079 ... on a duty belt.....not sure if it is still offered for a 2.25" belt or not.
    I contacted Safariland and asked them if the 079 would fit on a 2.25" duty belt and they said it would. When I received it, however, it would not fit a 2.25" belt. I took the carrier to a local shoe repair place and had them move the snaps about 1/2". It fits now and I like the ergonomics as it matches my off-duty setup.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I contacted Safariland and asked them if the 079 would fit on a 2.25" duty belt and they said it would. When I received it, however, it would not fit a 2.25" belt. I took the carrier to a local shoe repair place and had them move the snaps about 1/2". It fits now and I like the ergonomics as it matches my off-duty setup.
    I'm surprised you found someone at Safariland that even knew that they sold duty gear.

The 079 mag pouch for 2.25" belts isn't a listed catalog item, Safariland adds a "-2" to the end of the model number for the 2.25" version of the 079 i.e. 079-xx-xx-2.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF422 View Post
    I'm looking for some open top mag pouches for my duty belt. I was looking at the Safariland 775 pouches but I was wanting something that held the mags in a more traditional manner. Anyone have use these? Does the orientation of the mags change the way you would normally sweep for a mag? I am sitting here imagining it and it seems like the traditional mag "sweep" would be alright.
    What are the issue mag pouches? Anything wrong with them?

User Tag List