Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tactics? Home security surveillance

Tactics? Home security surveillance

I live in a townhouse and, over the years, have experienced a number of issues with theft / vandalism mostly in regards to my vehicles parked in front of my home.

I'm considering buying a game camera (for hunting) or something similar to capture footage of the people screwing around with my stuff, but I really don't know where to begin. Any thoughts? Would like to be able to use the footage either to chat with the appropriate parents (I have my suspicions) or turn over to the police. Really though, I'm interested in any suggestions – outside of getting a dog to watch the front of my house.

Game cameras are great. We have victims give us the pictures and they are surprisingly good. Matter of fact, my Captain used one at his in-laws and it was how we ID'd the suspects. I'm not sure which one he uses, but I can ask when he gets back from vacation.

Some of the $800-1000 wireless systems I've seen pictures/video from are pretty good as well.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

There are a few low end systems that do some cool stuff, though the video quality isn't as good as a better unit. You can set them up to record when they sense movement in a predetermined part of the image, they can sound an alarm, or not, they can text or email you, or send a recorded message, they can be set up to transmit the still or video images offsite, and some allow you to see in real time whats up on your smart phone. The one I have has a pocket size remote monitor I can carry in a shirt pocket and see whats happening within a short distance.

Try some google searches for home security systems. I got one on closeout at wal mart with an extra camera (3 total). Not great video quality, but gives me an idea if anyones around in blind spots and in the back drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Game cameras are great. We have victims give us the pictures and they are surprisingly good. Matter of fact, my Captain used one at his in-laws and it was how we ID'd the suspects. I'm not sure which one he uses, but I can ask when he gets back from vacation.
    Yes, please do.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Try some google searches for home security systems.
    I have been – there's a lot of stuff to sift through and it's hard to determine what's good and what's junk. It would be great to hear some of the specifics on the systems you've used as a jumping off point for my research.

Thanks!

https://www.dropcam.com

If you're at home, you can link one of these up to your WiFi. They're cheap, and the video quality on them is great - check out their live feeds on the site.
    Sheep Have Wool

My friend uses Drop Cam for his businesses. Loves them. They were just bought by Google or some other billion dollar company.

Couple of random thoughts:

Buy as much resolution as you can afford. There are many instances of criminal acts being caught on camera but since the video quality was so bad, no criminal actors could be identified. I'd buy at least D1 resolution if I could.

Running wires in an exiting structure can be a huge pain the butt. Netgear now has completely wireless camera that runs on a 123 battery (6 months I think) that I would be tempted to buy if I was willing to pay the per camera cost. http://www.vuezone.com/learn-more/how-it-works
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Couple of random thoughts:

Buy as much resolution as you can afford. There are many instances of criminal acts being caught on camera but since the video quality was so bad, no criminal actors could be identified. I'd buy at least D1 resolution if I could.

Running wires in an exiting structure can be a huge pain the butt. Netgear now has completely wireless camera that runs on a 123 battery (6 months I think) that I would be tempted to buy if I was willing to pay the per camera cost. http://www.vuezone.com/learn-more/how-it-works
    As someone who spends way too much time in attics running said wires for said cameras I fully agree with all of the above.

Now let me preface this just a bit, I mainly install "nanny" cams for my clients, keeping an eye on the kids when in the pool etc..

In regard to actual security & surveillance (which I sub-contract from a peer) It boils down to the initial statement of amateurs or pro's, every alarm, camera, access control system, and yard sign will keep most 'sober' amateurs away, all the 300LB mag locks and HD PTZ cameras in the world are not going to stop or deter a determined professional.

If you are trying to catch the neighborhood kids and are collecting evidence for a good ol' hide tanning from mom or dad, most any resolution will be workable WITH a good parent involved.

If you are trying to catch and prosecute actual criminals the positioning and quality of the cameras in regard to the "captured" images is critical.

The systems generally prescribed to my clients with these needs and desires usually go like this,

Door Cameras-Placed at Chest to Head height to actually capture faces, not tops of heads

Driveway "parking area" 'License Plate' Cameras - Cameras with character recognition and filters for adverse lighting conditions e.g. filtering out a frontal assault from headlights to still capture a complete front tag.

Some combination of wider angle cameras to capture property entry points, sidewalks, gates, backyards etc.

The system is usually lighted with a combination of remote IR LED arrays, and led equipped cameras which switch to black and white when the sun goes down.

An onsite ip DVR secured and or hidden and an offsite DNS server and cloud backup for remote viewing and archiving (if they find the DVR they will take it in most cases)

These systems generally start at about $3500.00 and go to $$$$$$$, the odd thing we have discovered is they can be addictive 4 cameras turns into 8, static cameras become PTZ (pan, tilt, zoom), standard def become hi-def etc. etc. etc.. There is actually a guy in town who's system is legend (among the trade), if everyone in his gated community knew his capabilities there would be an angry pitchfork wielding mob at his front door, he popped for his annual upgrade in the spring and it pushed his system deep into six figures (FLIR, huge optical zoom with CPU driven digital zoom, etc etc). We have come to the conclusion that he has serious voyeur issues.

With all of that said there have been a rash of break-ins in my sisters neighborhood as of late and they are about to go on a multi week vacation, when my brother in law inquired about a camera system I recommended he get a few DropCams point them out a few key windows, and rooms and call it good.

Surveillance is a very tricky critter, most people love the concept and its inherent benefits, but when the details dollars and hardware are explained 75% of them either don't want to live in or have visiting friends and family feel they are in a security state.

Jay

ETA, Wireless cameras and sensors are getting better and better but they are still not a substitute for areas where you can get a wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    As someone who spends way too much time in attics running said wires for said cameras I fully agree with all of the above.

Now let me preface this just a bit, I mainly install "nanny" cams for my clients, keeping an eye on the kids when in the pool etc..

In regard to actual security & surveillance (which I sub-contract from a peer) It boils down to the initial statement of amateurs or pro's, every alarm, camera, access control system, and yard sign will keep most 'sober' amateurs away, all the 300LB mag locks and HD PTZ cameras in the world are not going to stop or deter a determined professional.

If you are trying to catch the neighborhood kids and are collecting evidence for a good ol' hide tanning from mom or dad, most any resolution will be workable WITH a good parent involved.

If you are trying to catch and prosecute actual criminals the positioning and quality of the cameras in regard to the "captured" images is critical.

The systems generally prescribed to my clients with these needs and desires usually go like this,

Door Cameras-Placed at Chest to Head height to actually capture faces, not tops of heads

Driveway "parking area" 'License Plate' Cameras - Cameras with character recognition and filters for adverse lighting conditions e.g. filtering out a frontal assault from headlights to still capture a complete front tag.

Some combination of wider angle cameras to capture property entry points, sidewalks, gates, backyards etc.

The system is usually lighted with a combination of remote IR LED arrays, and led equipped cameras which switch to black and white when the sun goes down.

An onsite ip DVR secured and or hidden and an offsite DNS server and cloud backup for remote viewing and archiving (if they find the DVR they will take it in most cases)

These systems generally start at about $3500.00 and go to $$$$$$$, the odd thing we have discovered is they can be addictive 4 cameras turns into 8, static cameras become PTZ (pan, tilt, zoom), standard def become hi-def etc. etc. etc.. There is actually a guy in town who's system is legend (among the trade), if everyone in his gated community knew his capabilities there would be an angry pitchfork wielding mob at his front door, he popped for his annual upgrade in the spring and it pushed his system deep into six figures (FLIR, huge optical zoom with CPU driven digital zoom, etc etc). We have come to the conclusion that he has serious voyeur issues.

With all of that said there have been a rash of break-ins in my sisters neighborhood as of late and they are about to go on a multi week vacation, when my brother in law inquired about a camera system I recommended he get a few DropCams point them out a few key windows, and rooms and call it good.

Surveillance is a very tricky critter, most people love the concept and its inherent benefits, but when the details dollars and hardware are explained 75% of them either don't want to live in or have visiting friends and family feel they are in a security state.

Jay

ETA, Wireless cameras and sensors are getting better and better but they are still not a substitute for areas where you can get a wire.
    Excellent post and thank you for sharing.
    #RESIST

This is great information, everyone, appreciate the shared knowledge.

User Tag List