Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: J-Frame WML?

Without trying to create another "laser or not" thread, I love my J-frames and have no time for lasers, so this looks pretty good to me. The size of the stocks does bother me, but I'm [I]this close[I] to trying a set and see if it's still pocketable (I'm a big guy, so I have hope.)

THANK YOU!!

I wish CT would make a laser grip like that.

My finger block the laser unless I use the very tip of the pad.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Adds a light to the gun, but eliminates the ability to use a CTC laser grip. That's a non-starter for me on a J-Frame.

-Rob
    Why not make a grip with both . light top -laser bottom?

Why not a lightguard for revolvers?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I would be scared I would press the wrong finger. I guess lots of training would help that? but I kind a view it like I do the serpa holster.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    I think a light/laser combo would be feasible for a J-frame... so long as people appropriately adjusted their expectations of the light.

When we're talking about carbines, duty handguns, or other "primary" weapons, I can understand the desire for MOAR LUMENS!!!! But the J-frame occupies a different role.

The above linked griplight is 100+ lumens. That's "dim" by today's standards, but it wasn't very long ago that 60 lumens was considered a "tactical" light suitable for duty use (original Surefire 6P, for example).

I remember having a conversation with Craig (SouthNarc) back in 2008. He had approached Crimson Trace about making a set of their laser grips where the laser emitter was replaced by a small LED (no reflector or anything special: just a single LED that would put out a small flood pattern of light)*. The idea wasn't to put out a huge amount of light, but just to give the user some light, at the very least allowing for better target identification and/or some navigation in dark spaces. From what he said, Crimson Trace had no interest at all.

*Something like the thousands of 5mm keychain LEDs on the market

If Crimson Trace (or whoever) paired a laser with a low-powered LED like above, I think they could have a winner. I also think it could be done with minimal addition of bulk (certainly less than the Hyskore's Griplight). Those LEDs, after all, can run off of 2016 or 2032 cells (the latter of which is already used by laser grips).

Again, it would not be a lot of light, but it would be something, and I really do believe it could be done with minimal addition of bulk (just enough extra housing for the 5mm led to sit somewhere near the laser emitter). It wouldn't be able to blind anyone, and the light would easily wash out under external sources (like a street light), but in darker conditions could be quite useful.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I would be scared I would press the wrong finger. I guess lots of training would help that? but I kind a view it like I do the serpa holster.
    Not sure what you mean, Rich. You don't use your trigger finger to activate the lightguard: it is grip activated. Your middle finger squeezes the activation button when you firmly grip the handgun, regardless of where your trigger finger is or what it is doing. Here's an enlarged photo of the lightguard on a Glock where you can see the button that is activated by the middle finger's grip force: http://www.crimsontrace.com/media/ca...36-ghosted.jpg
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I think a light/laser combo would be feasible for a J-frame... so long as people appropriately adjusted their expectations of the light.

When we're talking about carbines, duty handguns, or other "primary" weapons, I can understand the desire for MOAR LUMENS!!!! But the J-frame occupies a different role.

The above linked griplight is 100+ lumens. That's "dim" by today's standards, but it wasn't very long ago that 60 lumens was considered a "tactical" light suitable for duty use (original Surefire 6P, for example).

I remember having a conversation with Craig (SouthNarc) back in 2008. He had approached Crimson Trace about making a set of their laser grips where the laser emitter was replaced by a small LED (no reflector or anything special: just a single LED that would put out a small flood pattern of light)*. The idea wasn't to put out a huge amount of light, but just to give the user some light, at the very least allowing for better target identification and/or some navigation in dark spaces. From what he said, Crimson Trace had no interest at all.

If Crimson Trace (or whoever) paired a laser with a low-powered LED like above, I think they could have a winner. I also think it could be done with minimal addition of bulk (certainly less than the Hyskore's Griplight). Those LEDs, after all, can run off of 2016 or 2032 cells (the latter of which is already used by laser grips).

Again, it would not be a lot of light, but it would be something, and I really do believe it could be done with minimal addition of bulk (just enough extra housing for the 5mm led to sit somewhere near the laser emitter). It wouldn't be able to blind anyone, and the light would easily wash out under external sources (like a street light), but in darker conditions could be quite useful.
    When I got a Streamlight Nano, the first thing that came to mind was that it would make a decent light for a J. A mount and switch could be figured out. It also looked like it may be adaptable to the underlug of an L frame Smith, mounted inside the lug under the barrel. In either case, not blindingly bright, but a useful amount of light to shoot stuff that needed to be shot.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Your traffic finger operates the button, not your trigger finger. Same as regular J-frame CTC grips.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post

I've wondered why they didn't do a grip-based riff on their light&laser RailMaster unit for the J. They should easily be able to get a 62 lumen light up high on the right rear of a Centennial frame that way and I would immediately buy two.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List