Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best night sights for VP9/P30?

I've put Trijicon HD orange on 6+ P30 9mms and have had no POI issues. I really like the HDs for an all light conditions sight.
    Before MGW came out with their do everything tool a machinist buddy made me an insert for the MGW USP tool that worked great for P30 and HK45.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Anything but the factory mepro's.
    But maybe some of us like the factory mepro...

Quote Originally Posted by XXXsilverXXX View Post
    But maybe some of us like the factory mepro...
    Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    So I ordered the HDs, and they arrived today in my PO Box.

Very happy just looking at them; they appear a little taller on both front and rear, i.e. not enough so as to affect my POI/POA, hopefully. I'd say by physical inspection, the numbers I quoted above are about right.

I'm going to send the slide off to have them mounted, then take the VP9 to the range and see how it goes. This really is the only thing I want to do to the VP9 before using it to get on with training and USPSA this fall.
    Funny to see this post in the thread.

Turns out the HDs did not work out for me, fwiw.

I continually had issues with the height and sharpness of the rear sights. In addition, having picked yellow for reasons which now escape me, I really did have problems seeing that color.

(In retrospect perhaps I should have gone orange. Maybe by age 58, my photo-receptors for green/yellow are not that great anymore? I wonder if anyone has any data on best color for aging Baby Boomer eye sight? Maybe we need a pole. )

I went ahead and put the glow in the dark HK sights back on. I'm mulling over just painting my rears black, but am on the hunt for a ideas on a good front sight. High on the shopping list are Orange color, highly visible, and a manageable price for two. Also need zero change in POI, so stock height. I'd love it if there was a balance for CCW and USPSA, since I'd want the same sight for my EDC P30SK as well as competition VP9. I don't think I'd really want a big fat dot anymore, either.

I had a 10 8 FO on my M&P (since sold) but maybe I am in the minority but I was never that impressed with the light capture of the fiber rod. And I tried several of the colors too.

All that being said, are these Dawson Precision Tritium Sights close to what I am looking for? I'll definitely go check them out.
    Last edited by RJ; 04-09-2017 at 12:53 PM.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that compilation.

Is anyone using Truglo TFX frontsights? Thoughts?

Site Supporter
    Funny to see this post in the thread.

Turns out the HDs did not work out for me, fwiw.

I continually had issues with the height and sharpness of the rear sights. In addition, having picked yellow for reasons which now escape me, I really did have problems seeing that color.

(In retrospect perhaps I should have gone orange. Maybe by age 58, my photo-receptors for green/yellow are not that great anymore? I wonder if anyone has any data on best color for aging Baby Boomer eye sight? Maybe we need a pole. )

I went ahead and put the glow in the dark HK sights back on. I'm mulling over just painting my rears black, but am on the hunt for a ideas on a good front sight. High on the shopping list are Orange color, highly visible, and a manageable price for two. Also need zero change in POI, so stock height. I'd love it if there was a balance for CCW and USPSA, since I'd want the same sight for my EDC P30SK as well as competition VP9. I don't think I'd really want a big fat dot anymore, either.

I had a 10 8 FO on my M&P (since sold) but maybe I am in the minority but I was never that impressed with the light capture of the fiber rod. And I tried several of the colors too.

All that being said, are these Dawson Precision Tritium Sights close to what I am looking for? I'll definitely go check them out.
    Rich,

Color selection on sights depends on your eyes.

Traffic studies tell us for people with normal vision, orange is more viable in daylight and lime green is more visible in low light,

We are primarily using the colored rings on the HD fronts for day light use.

If you have normal color vision Orange tends to work best. The lime yellow tends to work best for those who are to one degree or another red - green colorblind.

As for fiber optics, how visible they are depends on the sight - what size FO and how much FO rod is exposed.

I like the Straight Eights.

Has anybody tried the XS "lollipop" standard dot size?

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    I hear this is what the cool kids are using. That and Heinie Straight Eights.
    Dawson Precision/10-8 Rear. I'm not even that cool and I'm using it.

Rich see the attached pics. I have bad astigmatism and I'm near sights at 20/60 without corrective lens. I can see through these sights without my glasses on. The only other sights I can see glasses off are orange/red-ramp S&W sights or a red-dot

Name:  IMG_1863.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  12.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1852.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  10.4 KB

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that compilation.

Is anyone using Truglo TFX frontsights? Thoughts?
    I'm running the TFX Pro's on my P30. They're even longer than the factory Meprolights (so shortened sight radius I guess), but just as bright at night and way better in light. They match the factory POA, so the drive the dot target picture still bugs me, but overall I'm a fan. But I also haven't tried the HD's.
    Last edited by Eric_F; 04-11-2017 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Spellin

User Tag List