Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best night sights for VP9/P30?

A word of warning to those attempting to install a Dawson front sight on the VP9. I don't know if the P30/VP9 dovetail is different or the sight was out of spec but a considerable amount of material needs to be removed to make it fit. It was surprising, the same front sight configuration installed easily in my P30.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    10-8 rear/Dawson Precision tritium front.
    I hear this is what the cool kids are using. That and Heinie Straight Eights.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    A word of warning to those attempting to install a Dawson front sight on the VP9. I don't know if the P30/VP9 dovetail is different or the sight was out of spec but a considerable amount of material needs to be removed to make it fit. It was surprising, the same front sight configuration installed easily in my P30.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    My P30 front took a LOT of filing as well. If you go Dawson for either be prepared to work it I guess.

Since I like the way H&K pistols are sighted I usually send them to tool tech to have tubes installed into the factory sights. Not an issue for me since I never cock my guns using my sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
    The HD's look quite tall. Does this affect POI?
    I have HDs on both my P30's and both sk's, and like them. They are taller, but they are based on spec according to a Trij rep I corresponded with, i.e. The measurements between front and rear are the same as far as height, as they are with stock sights.

They did take me a little practice to find the right sight picture, but that's just the way it is.

I did a lot of searching yesterday and today, but my Google-fu is weak, apparently, so I am asking my question in this thread:

I have a April 2015 purchase new VP9, bone stock with the glow-in-the-dark sights. I want to replace them with Trijicon HDs, which I had on my M&P FS9. For accuracy, I shoot with the center of the bull aligned to the top of sights, at 25 yards, using a B-8 target. My best ever score is 83-2X with Speer GD 124+p's. Yes I suck. Previously, when I took a training course with aforementioned gun with HDs, I just stuck the big yellow dot on the target and squeezed. Mostly I was able to get a good amount of 2As, at least on the brown cardboard bad guys.

Can anyone confirm the sight height dimensions for front and rear of the VP9 stock sights and the HDs?

Here's what I've been able to infer from a few searches for the stock sights:

Rear height: 0.270" Front height: 0.155" (difference of -0.115")

And this is what I found on the Trijicon web sight for HK110Y's:

Rear height: 0.325" Front height: 0.215" (difference = -0.110")

Are these numbers correct?

From what I have gathered, it appears that the difference numbers are so small as to be negligible for me, and I should be gtg.

I've had the HDs on the previous pistol, and like them for general target shooting, light competition, training and home defense as an "all around" sight. However, the heights that Trijicon chose for that gun were very different from stock, so much so, that the gun shot almost 3" high at 7 yards for me.

Since the VP9 will be my "only" gun from this fall, I just want to avoid that experience again and get it right the first time. I want to concentrate on training and getting to be a USPSA "B" shooter, and not worry about the sights after this.

Thanks...Rich
    Last edited by RJ; 07-13-2015 at 09:10 AM.

Save yourself a world of hurt Rich and just go with Dawson Precision. If you don't want to install them yourself send them off and have Dawson do it for you. Oh and they come with a POA/POI gaurentee. I've done the factory VP9 sights, Trijicon HD, and Heinie sights. In the end I went back to the Dawson Precision sights and love them. Same height as factory, shoot point of aim and come in multiple widths. Just my 0.02

So I ordered the HDs, and they arrived today in my PO Box.

Very happy just looking at them; they appear a little taller on both front and rear, i.e. not enough so as to affect my POI/POA, hopefully. I'd say by physical inspection, the numbers I quoted above are about right.

I'm going to send the slide off to have them mounted, then take the VP9 to the range and see how it goes. This really is the only thing I want to do to the VP9 before using it to get on with training and USPSA this fall.

Trijicon HDs for the win. Love them, fast and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_O View Post
    Save yourself a world of hurt Rich and just go with Dawson Precision. If you don't want to install them yourself send them off and have Dawson do it for you. Oh and they come with a POA/POI gaurentee. I've done the factory VP9 sights, Trijicon HD, and Heinie sights. In the end I went back to the Dawson Precision sights and love them. Same height as factory, shoot point of aim and come in multiple widths. Just my 0.02
    I looked around and ended-up ordering a pair of tritium night sights from Dawson Precision for an HK 45C. I like that there were a variety of sight heights to choose from. I hope the installation is fairly straight forward.

User Tag List