Thread: Performance Measurement Tool

Performance Measurement Tool

This was suggested in another forum. I would like the opinions of those here. This is based upon IDPA only for my purposes it may be relevant to other games but I don't know, I don't play them and their scoring frightens me. It is not my idea I don't know where it came from. It appears to my feeble mind to be an attempt to quantify the whole speed vs accuracy balance.

Example: I shoot a local match in 100.89 secs (total time not just elapsed so this figure reflects not only added time from points down but also PE's, NT's, FTN)
    35 points down or 17.5 seconds
    17.5/100.89 = .1735
    or 17% of my score was from points down (this is asserted but it sounds right to me)

It was suggested that if your total points down are certain %'s of your total time, then it is a gauge to see if you are shooting too fast, too slow...about right.

The example given in the abstract was, if 20% of your time is from points down that is too much and thus you are shooting too fast...(or at least should take more time to shoot more accurately)
    If your % is 10 or less, then you are shooting too slow...(or at least would benefit from speeding up)
    It was suggested that 11-13% may be about right.

I have no idea and am only interested because I have about 5 years worth of data on my shooting and thought it would be interesting to see how this looked for me.

If you think this has value, what % thresholds would you use? Is this notion the brainchild of someone and I am just ignorant? I am accustomed to seeing stats that you shot x% of the winner and things like that but I have never seen this.

Thoughts?

I am a lawyer because I am a mathematical idiot, if it doesn't involve 33.3% I'm generally lost, so dumb the explanation down for me. I have fed this formula into my data spreadsheet and have some results over time.

Thanks

Top IDPA shooters will usually get 90-95% of available points. They have very few to no PE's, NT's or FTN's. Go to the results of major matches to check out the points down etc.

User Tag List