Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever thought about using Stickum, Rosin bag... for Grip?

Ever thought about using Stickum, Rosin bag... for Grip?

If you could glue your hand together and to the gun it would create an effective grip. Yeah I know it sounds over the top and not the most practical technique to rely upon defensively.

What I have noticed is depending upon the weather, my skin dryness or hand cleanliness it make a significant difference it how well I an able to maintain a solid grip. Where I notice it most is in my support hand. If it is dry or my skin is very dry my support hand will slip slightly where it contacts my strong hand. Frequently now I have noticed how as my hands get gummed up with powder residue during a extended range session my grip improves. Shooting in the rain, I love it. My grip is definitively better when my hands are wet. I just think I have inherently dry skin.

The other day at the range I was experimenting with grabbing some dirt or grass and dirtying up my hands. The moisture from the grass made a positive difference.

For a while there I found myself searching online for some sort of product I could use to make my hands a little stickier. I just don't want to become dependent on something that would not always be there.

Thoughts?

I'm a complete noob. But the other month, my Talon Grip started to peel off my M&P.

So I just took the rest of it off and shot the remaining rounds. I noticed my hands really 'stuck' to the grip.

So I get what you are saying. It did seem to help a bit.

USPSA gamers frequently use rosin or Pro-Grip for a little extra traction while shooting.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

At one shop, we had a bit of an issue where a few individuals that were quite routinely taking part in a very active lifestyle would bring their climbing chalk bags with them to qualification in the belief that this would help them increase scores (and chance at cash or other bonuses offered as incentives.) This didn't last long, as the prospect of being forced to integrate this into low profile kit for daily carry in order to justify use in training seemed to be a bit of a downer to those particular folks.

Interesting.

For me it is literally the interface between the back of my strong hand and the inside of my support hand. That is where I feel the slipping going on.

I really have no desire to resort to a (no pun intended) solution in a bottle. It would be a crutch that would not be there on the day I needed to defend myself.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Interesting.

For me it is literally the interface between the back of my strong hand and the inside of my support hand. That is where I feel the slipping going on.

I really have no desire to resort to a (no pun intended) solution in a bottle. It would be a crutch that would not be there on the day I needed to defend myself.
    If you are worried about being able to use this in a defensive situation, then anything you would add externally is completely off the table. In a defensive encounter you will not have time to "chalk up".

If you are out practicing and would like something to help, or you compete in pistol games and have time to chalk up, then a solution is a good option. I use "Prince Grip" which is marketed to tennis players - it is the same as the 'pro grip' marketed to shooters, but half the cost. It is basically industrial strength anti-antiperspirant. It makes your hands dry but chalky, so they have lots of friction and no slippage.

I have found that lots of practice shooting with this stuff does not affect me shooting without it. Sure, there is an advantage to using it (especially here in Texas) but the small edge you gain is not significant.

Site Supporter
    I used ProGrip when I was shooting Gen3 Glocks. It was worse in the winter time, when it was dry out, and I was washing my hands a lot.

I could never get enough weak hand grip, and continually gripping harder and harder was fatiguing on long range sessions. I don't consider it a crutch since it's an issue exacerbated by high round count days. I could still shoot pretty well without it.

I would absolutely use it when confirming zero on my handgun... I'm not a fan of bench resting my Glock. It just doesn't translate into the extra stability for me as does bench resting a rifle. I rubbed dirt into my hands just this morning as I was checking my zero; If I had some of that fancy ProGrip stuff I surely would have used it instead.

I discovered batting gloves long ago and keep a set in my shooting bag. Provide a bit of extra grip when needed, easy to remove when done, plus give just a litttle bit of protection from assorted dings and boo-boos that seem to pop up with some regularity.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

User Tag List