Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Advice before buying a Glock 42

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Yes it does, same with my Kahr PM9.
    The autos just aren't as slick out of the pocket as a Centennial J-frame like the 642/442.

I finally got around to shooting a Glock 42.
    First, dimension wise it's way too big for a 6+1 .380.
    The 42 is identical to my Kahr PM9 in grip length but 3/8" longer in slide length. The 42 is considerable larger in every dimension than my LCP.
    I'm just not feeling that the size/performance ratio is there. Too much size for the caliber and capacity.
    I shot 250 rounds through the 42, 200 Magtech FMJ and 50 assorted hollowpoints.
    Reliability with FMJ was 100%.
    Reliability with JHP's was abysmal, none of the 3 different brands cycled any where near an acceptable rate. The primary malfunction was failure to extract/eject.
    I have to say the Glock is far worse than the Kahr P380 I owned a few years ago... and it was bad.
    Contrast that with my newest PM9 and my LCP, both of which have been 100% with all ammo. The LCP through a few hundred rounds (around 400), the PM9 through several thousand (nearing 3000 and a recoil spring change).
    The trigger could use stand to lose 2 or 3 pounds, heavy Glock triggers have no redeeming qualities.
    Now the good, the 42 is very soft shooting and accuracy was acceptable out to 25 yards.
    Sights, holsters and accessories will be plentiful.

Now that I have some trigger time on a Glock 42, my opinion of it hasn't changed for the better.
    It's too big for the caliber and the JHP reliability in the one I currently have sucks.
    I'll be keeping my Kahr PM9 and my S&W 442.
    Right now the only use I see for the Glock 42 is for people who are extremely recoil sensitive (like elderly women with carpel tunnel) and have the need to conceal. And even then I'd steer that person to a steel J-frame with wadcutters and an Apex trigger kit.
    Color me very unimpressed.
    If Glock would bring it out in 9mm and make it reliable, then we can talk.
    Any idea the born date of that pistol? I've seen reports that amongst the updates we heard about, there was a significant reduction in trigger pull weight.

I've seen a couple early adopters report Glock swapping out old guns for new even.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Jody, what is the date of manufacture of this pistol? Early ones definitely were problematic with JHP. We had an early one and just got it back from Glock for addressing this issue. Haven't shot it yet. Newish one we have works with JHP, so far.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Jody, what is the date of manufacture of this pistol? Early ones definitely were problematic with JHP. We had an early one and just got it back from Glock for addressing this issue. Haven't shot it yet. Newish one we have works with JHP, so far.
    6/16/14 is the fired casing date.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Crap

PS: would you rather have a PPS or no TS Shield for the small holster niche?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Crap

PS: would you rather have a PPS or no TS Shield for the small holster niche?
    For pocket carry, my PM9. I make sure to highlight my PM9, because unfortunately Kahr either puts out a great gun or a complete piece of crap so I can't recommend them without the caveat that mine works, yours may not..
    For a single stack holster carried 9mm it's a tossup between the PPS and the Shield.
    I carry the PPS because I prefer the paddle mag release, my wife prefers the Shield because the grip fits her hand better and she thinks it recoils softer.
    To me the PPS has a crisper trigger, the Shield trigger is a bit smoother (glass rod vs. carrot in 1911 speak).
    I don't care for Kahr's offerings in that size like the P9 or CW9, the design doesn't scale up well and just feels odd to me.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Biggest Glock 42 disappointment?
    Barnes Tac-XPD 80gr. JHP turned the Glock 42 into a bolt action.
    Out of two magazines worth, not a single round made it out of the ejection port.
    Not a single round. None, Nada, Zip, Buttkiss.
    This ammo has fed perfectly through my LCP and my Sig P232.

That's pretty frickin current!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I have noted that the Barnes loadings in 9mm and .380 are loaded VERY light. The 9mm is marked +P but barely breaks 1000fps from my G19

XTPs have done well in any G42 I've tried them in, even the wonky ones.

For the Barnes copper in .380, Corbon DPX has added oomph.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I have noted that the Barnes loadings in 9mm and .380 are loaded VERY light. The 9mm is marked +P but barely breaks 1000fps from my G19
    Tried that Barnes load, because it was available, and don't think I could get two consecutive shots off. Definitely a no go with the 42.

I am pretty much settled on the J frame for the pocket, as multiple PM9's I have or have owned, don't run for me. My wife wants/needs a thin semi auto for wearing in a holster under thin clothing. That is why we have the 42, but we may see if a no TS (she is lefty and only speaks Glock) Shield is small enough for her to conceal.

User Tag List