Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sooo... why not shoulder holsters?

Seems legit. Thanks, guys. Saved me $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave
    My wife has already written my obituary which, in part, attributes my death to complications from my second penis reduction surgery.

In the 80`s wore a shoulder holster for a short time.

Its only good for when it cool enough for a jacket.

I like mine because it allowed me to carry 2 extra 15rd magazines and carry a second handgun IWB

I wear one in my bathrobe. Also good to keep gun and mags together if you are sleeping and things go bump in the night. It has its uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    How so?
    What Joshrunkle35 said, also with a vertical (muzzle down) rig, the draw can wholly avoid the occurrence of inadvertent muzzle sweeping of the offside arm.

And just as an aside, but in a related vein, it may be worth mentioning that while we all strive to obey Col. Cooper's pithy and very sensible 4 Rules, there are nonetheless many times when the gun muzzle isn't wholly avoiding being pointed at or extremely near to something we're "not willing to see destroyed", especially when holstering (cf. especially, but not only, AIWB), and that adherence to at least two of those 4 Rules (but ESPECIALLY Rule 3) at any given time and circumstance will typically be sufficient to prevent catastrophes.

And no, I'm not suggesting that any of the Rules be abrogated or ignored, but some people do treat them downright superstitiously, for instance being afraid that a "horizontal" shoulder holster is "sweeping everyone behind you"; C'Mon, there's active gun-handling and administrative gun-handling. Where's the muzzle pointing when the gun is in the safe? in the drawer? being cleaned? in the holster? The Rules apply to active gun-handling.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

In one of his books, Ayoob mentions shoulder rigs being convenient for older gents who have to go to the bathroom often giving the example of Fish, Abe Vigoda's character from Barney Miller. In a thread here, not too long ago, it was opined that shoulder holsters are also a panty dropper. While I have not been privy to this phenomena, like Mulder, I want to believe.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

The phrase "It depends" applies a lot here.

There is a world of difference between a field holster for your hunting hogleg and a rig designed for concealment. A smaller gun, high in the armpit in a horizontal rig, can be quite concealable and not at all uncomfortable depending on the type of cover garment worn.

I spent a couple of years in a plainclothes assignment, where my primary was a G17 or G22 on my hip, along with spare mags, cuffs, light, and radio with ear bud/lapel mic. Since I wore slacks and a blazer, my BUG was a Kahr K40 in a Sam Andrews Solo shoulder rig. Reholstering is a two handed affair, but it was comfortable and accessible to either hand, and far faster than an ankle rig. Spare mag for the Kahr was in the left front pocket in a DeSantis pocket mag holder.

The same rig worked well under a short waisted leather flight jacket that was partially zipped, as well as a tucked in bush- or heavy work-type shirt as long as it was generous around the chest area.

Having said that......some time after that assignment and trading the Kahr off for a G27, I acquired a Galco jackass rig for a Glock 17, which I modified to mimic the Solo with elastic on the offside. Miserable failure, do to the placement of the attachment points on the holster body, and that ALL the weight on the G27 was in the butt. the gun constantly wanted to sag into a muzzle up position.

So, a properly designed rig, with a proper weapon, with attention to the proper clothing, and consideration of body shape, can be a very effective concealment option.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    In a thread here, not too long ago, it was opined that shoulder holsters are also a panty dropper. While I have not been privy to this phenomena, like Mulder, I want to believe.
    I tested this theory with an Alessi Bodyguard and a Baer UTC. Early indications are that it is highly effective.

The big thing I dislike about shoulder holsters is that if you're close to someone who doesn't like you, and that someone is right-handed just like you, and you don't know how much they dislike you until they're very close, you might find that the orientation of your gun is way more convenient for them than for you.

Dragging somebody's arm across the chest is usually a goal for me when things are getting grabby. People who are prepared to do that for me prior to producing a gun...well, that's just gravy.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    What Joshrunkle35 said, also with a vertical (muzzle down) rig, the draw can wholly avoid the occurrence of inadvertent muzzle sweeping of the offside arm.
    When I took my first CC qual (NC, 1996-ish?), as I was heading out the door to the range I couldn't find my OWB holster. Wound up wearing an Uncle Mike's nylon shoulder rig that I only used for hunting. Glock 17.

When I got to the line (about 20 shooters firing simultaneously back then), the Sheriffs Deputy running the range stares at me and says "If I see you sweep anyone drawing from that holster I'll disqualify you immediately". (the timed qual was draw and fire. One flyer gets you disqualified, IIRC). The guy stood next to me (I was on the end) for the first two courses of fire. No pressure.

Didn't have any trouble passing. Didn't muzzle anything other than the ground. The only hassle was that I was slowest to re-holster between rounds.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I've tried shoulder holsters and a tanker style holster while hunting. The tanker rig isn't bad for long term carry with a 4" Model 12. The shoulder rig with a 4" Model 28 was an annoyance after about an hour and a half. That was a Galco rig by the way. I still prefer either to a belt holster while hunting, on a four wheeler or on the tractor.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Years ago I used a shoulder holster, a Galco Jackass, while I was having lower back issues. For that use it was a real godsend. I've also found one to be quite useful when taking long road trips in a vehicle. I consider it a niche system: it does a few things quite well but isn't my first choice for a primary carry system. Most in my profession won't consider one for any reason simply to avoid the inevitable Miami Vice comments sure to follow.

User Tag List