Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Chelada my new alcoholic vice

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Squarts, in semi-urban Iowa, were one quart plastic squeeze bottles sold at quick trip. Half full of Mountain Dew and the rest with Jack Daniels, they kept you from having to pay for a cup at the kegger.
    Ugh. The backwoods kids in high school used to take a 20oz bottle of Dew, dump out all but about the last two inches, and refill with 100-proof Wild Turkey. They called it "Kickin' Chicken".

Site Supporter
    Finally found one to try the other day. Mucho better than the Bud/Bud-Lite tomato/lime/fruit versions.
    I don't think I would seek one out, but I would not hesitate to enjoy another one if one suddenly appeared in my hand.

I tried adding some extra spice (Louisiana hot sauce) to one glass, also tried adding a bit of Vodka to that same glass (Bloody Beery), but thought it was best left in it's natural state.

I'd post a pic but I'm locked out of my Photobucket account at the moment... Damn passwords!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I just want to thank this thread and its participants for turning me onto the Leinenkugel Summer Shandy. Much to my own chagrin, I've drunk two...no three cases of these (I had a bit of help) since July 4th. I love these things, they are perfect for a hot summer day and really perfect for when partaking in things like tubing. Sitting in a tube, lazing down a river, drinking summer shandies, it doesn't get much better.

-Rob

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Finally found one to try the other day.
    Photobucket fixed.. ;-)

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Mmmmm... Chelada.

Attachment 2507
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

So, I can't have the pre-packaged cheladas, but I could conceivably roll my own at home. What ratio/mix of beer, lime juice, and salt would be appropriate for a typical 12oz bottle of lager?

Beer + tomato juice + lime + salt + chile = chelada
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Beer + tomato juice + lime + salt + chile = chelada
    Well, yes, I get the ingredient list. But how much of each?

Site Supporter
    Kind of along the same lines, a now closed restaurant in my town had a beer-based bloody mary that was, well, bloody damn good. I tried it on a whim one of the rare times I wasn't carrying or driving (doing one or both usually prevents me from drinking in restaurants).

I've been tempted to make my own, but never seem to get around to it.

Chris

I don't typically drink tomato juice but my interest is piqued so I now have a quest. With the large hispanic population in my area I suspect I won't have to look too hard.

User Tag List