Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Beretta Elite II

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    The M9 frame has no relief cut, but a lot of 92 frames do. It seems to be a crapshoot whether or not you get one. That said, I have come to prefer the relief cut, and all but one of my Berettas (a 1989-vintage 92F) have it.
    I also like the relief cut. I also thought the M9 didn't have it, but I thought the rest of the 92 line-up had it with the possible exception of the Inox models. There must be some out there without the relief cut though as YVK says.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I also like the relief cut. I also thought the M9 didn't have it, but I thought the rest of the 92 line-up had it with the possible exception of the Inox models. There must be some out there without the relief cut though as YVK says.
    92s without the reduced raduis backstrap seemed to come out around or after Beretta USA was a full speed manufacturing M9s for the recent big contract. During this time a lot of Italian guns were sold on the commercial market. The vast majority of civilian 92s I've seen in the last 10+ years have the reduced backstrap other than the commercial M9s. I would guess that maybe some left over M9 frames were used to build commercial guns after the big production order was over or maybe they were just cutting corners to get pistols out the door? I'm wondering if YVK's gun has a slanted dust cover or the older straight (M9 pattern) dust cover? Is it a US or Italian gun?
    Last edited by Suvorov; 12-02-2014 at 10:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    92s without the reduced raduis backstrap seemed to come out around or after Beretta USA was a full speed manufacturing M9s for the recent big contract. During this time a lot of Italian guns were sold on the commercial market. The vast majority of civilian 92s I've seen in the last 10+ years have the reduced backstrap other than the commercial M9s. I would guess that maybe some left over M9 frames were used to build commercial guns after the big production order was over or maybe they were just cutting corners to get pistols out the door? I'm wondering if YVK's gun has a slanted dust cover or the older straight (M9 pattern) dust cover? Is it a US or Italian gun?
    That's how it was explained to me. When the new 92Gs were announced, my first question was "will they have radiused backstraps?" My contact at BUSA shrugged and said "Who knows?"

This is all news to me.

It was my understanding that Beretta has switched ALL the 92FS line over to the slanted dust cover and radiused back strap years ago whereas the M9's retained the straight dust cover and non-radiused back strap. Had no idea some people are getting recent manufacturer 92FS's without the relief cut. As mentioned earlier, it would be interesting to see what type of dust cover the guns in question have.

New production, non-radiused back strap, straight dust cover. I ended up trading it for a new production, angled dust cover, radiused back strap.

I like the straight dust cover look, but I really need the radiused back strap more.

God Bless,
    David

Is the radiused back strap more for comfort or is it a size preference? Is it smaller?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Is the radiused back strap more for comfort or is it a size preference? Is it smaller?
    All of the above for me.

God Bless,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    The radius changes where the 92FS points in the shooters hand.
    Yes, it makes a difference beyond its apparent minute size-depending on user's hand size.For moi, I can run both comfortably-but going from a radiused pistol to a non-radiused model is a noticeable transition. I do have gorilla hands, so that has to be considered.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by David B. View Post

New production, non-radiused back strap, straight dust cover. I ended up trading it for a new production, angled dust cover, radiused back strap.

I like the straight dust cover look, but I really need the radiused back strap more.

God Bless,
    David
    Thanks for showing this. Looks like an old M9 spec frame. To my memory - all of the non radiused frames I have seen also have had straight dust covers which is why I suspect they are "left over" M9 frames. I would love to see if there are any non-radiused frames that have slanted dust covers and from what years they are. I'm assuming your pistol is a US production?

I would agree that the frames with the reduced radius backstraps are preferable, but I'm not sure it makes much of a difference to me. If my small handed wife would ever "embrace the culture of the gun" then I could experiment with her, but I think I'll just have to wait until I teach my boys to shoot to see what positive affect the newer backstrap has on people.

David's pictured gun is an Inox model. I haven't seen any Inox Beretta 92's with the radius'd backstrap. Of course I haven't been looking real close.

User Tag List