Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SWAT teams as private corporations?

I'm thinking they should be careful what they ask for.
    You want corporate protections? You should also be subject to corporate liabilities.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    It is interesting to me that the most "liberal" locations have the most "big brother" feel to their law enforcement.

This private entity idea is as absurd as the idea that it is illegal to record the police on duty and in public.

That first line is awesome!

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. But coming from that region of the country it doesn't surprise me.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    What do you think the dividends are like? I would like to put some SWAT teams in my 401K.
    Depends what their take is after a bust.

Nuts is all I can say.

Most public record laws I'm aware of have exceptions for specific techniques and officer safety information. There should be no problem releasing basic info on the number of calls, types of charges filed, etc.. That's just public accountability. In certain cases, I would have a big problem releasing complete AARs without redacting specific techniques. Under LA law, that was never a problem.

If the issue is protection of sensitive information, then work to change the law. Public safety agencies pretending to be something else certainly isn't the answer.

Ken

It appears to be an interesting concept -- the Department "leasing" personnel and equipment to the 501(c)((3)) non profit.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I can't see this surviving a legal challenge.
    Couldn't have phrased it any better... and as we say in these parts "That dog won't hunt".

What authority does a private corporation have to enforce law? Can members of these corporate SWATs be prosecuted for assault and murder? The world wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    What authority does a private corporation have to enforce law? Can members of these corporate SWATs be prosecuted for assault and murder? The world wonders.
    North Carolina allows private companies to contract as police services on private property.

Georgia allows private campuses to have police departments.

It isn't exactly without precedent, and those are just a couple of examples right off the top of my head.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Can members of these corporate SWATs be prosecuted for assault and murder? The world wonders.
    I don't think the world wonders, because there isn't really a doubt about it.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List