Thread: Laminate Armor

Laminate Armor

Those CNT yarn pics I posted a while ago - here is the material again, but encapsulated with SiC and B4C.

With 10mm CQB-E for good measure.

The holes were made when we did core samples for TEM analysis (will share when the images come back from OSU).

This will be the outer layer, which will act as the errosion/abrasion layer for the composite. That layer is most effective for light weight, high velocity projectiles (think 223).

Those holes took a loooooooonnnnnnnng time to make. Were cut using a coring EDM. Pain in the ass for sure.

There is a velocity window for all armors. For example, at lower velocity, some armors are more efficient, but suffer greatly at higher velocities. Density, hardness, fracture mechanics, cost, and more come into play. Then comes the impact geometry. Good stuff, and this will likely be next semesters example for the Mat'l and Process class.

I personally think the next step in soft armor will be tight loop radius fabrics. Maybe using CNT fibers? We'll see. It will undoubtedly be a mixture of fibers.

Thanks for the update. Very interesting stuff. I found it fascinating that M193 would penetrate armor that stopped M855, and vice versa. Most of my co workers had no clue.

Happens all the time: http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/le...rol-armor-test

5-6 mm steel stops M855, but not M193.

Compressed PE stops M193, but not M855.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Happens all the time: http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/le...rol-armor-test

5-6 mm steel stops M855, but not M193.

Compressed PE stops M193, but not M855.
    Never could get on that forum.

Oh well.

User Tag List