Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trigger jerking is there a cure ?

Insert one or more snapcaps amongst your real ammo as you load your magazines (or have your shooting partner do it for you). Can use for malfunction drills while you are at it.
    If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis D. Brandeis

The first approach is to do ball and dummy drills.
    There are a lot of variations on this, but if you don't have a flinch/shove when you focus, then the problem is probably more related to sequential shots, therefore, drills that allow you to experience recoil, followed by a verification/repetition of "not shoving" is going to help.
    Caution: post-ignition push is a positive attribute, and can easily be mistaken for a pre-ignition push, and lingering on ball and dummy can give a false sense of improvement if you're trying to advance skill.

Berm drills. Basically a wall drill with live-fire
    Empty berm, full magazine. Front sight focus.
    Work on being comfortable shooting strings while tracking sights.

Generous targets interspersed with small target precision shots (changing gears).
    Work on going fast when you can go fast, and getting the hit on tight targets.
    Don't fall into the "big targets always get lots of bullets and small targets only get one" mindset.
    Change it up.

Precision marksmanship.
    3x5 card at 25(+) yards.
    Be able to precisely place the shot.
    Precision doesn't have to mean "slow", but do not be happy with mediocrity.
    Know where the wheels fall off, and push that limit.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Concentration and lots of practice.

I always thought that jerking the trigger would send bullets low and left? If bullets are striking low only, it might be that you need more pressure from the weak hand on the pistol grip.

It may be just mental but for me I flinch the worst when I don't watch my front sight.

Lots of dry fire.
    Ball and dummy.

Another thing that helped me a ton was to put the target at about 3 yards and fire a shot. Then try to put each subsequent shot on the same bullet hole. Don't over do this. It's easy to get tired and frustrated with it.

El Snatcho still visits me every so often...

It is several things that contribute to my ( anticipation/jerk ). I shoot at 25 yds. and if I don't stay within my shooting routine and press for a great shot by forcing the shot when the right sight picture comes up things go bad. So, I stick with the shot routine, focus on the front site, use the trigger pressure to aid in sight alignment and stay focused enough to observe the muzzle flash. Yes, I still have flyers but they are "mostly" not caused by the trigger.

I have encountered similar problems, where when shooting steel or any target, I would get my sights properly aligned, pull the trigger and find I missed the target and hit 6 o'clock, time after time.

Finally I figured out what the issue was....

1: Closing my eyes just before I shot.
    2: Involuntarily breaking my wrists down

I would think my sights were on target, but at the moment just before the shot goes off, they close and my sights move.

I am still working on correcting this problem, but the most important fix I have found is to keep your eyes OPEN during the shot. If you focus on the front sight and make a conscious effort to keep your eyes open, you will be less likely to alter your sight picture, and if you do, you will see it. I did not find dry fire drills of help, as I would keep my eyes open during dry fire, but they would involuntarily close during live fire...

It has required that I concentrate very hard on proper grip, sight alignment and keeping my eyes open during the shot during live fire to get consistently good hits on target. Brian Enos book has some good info on tracking your sights....

User Tag List