Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kinston resident recalls extraordinary experiences in Army

Quote Originally Posted by joshrunkle35 View Post
    I wasn't saying they were. I was saying that some of his story, while possible is not plausible, and that the reporter appears to have seen a DD214 (lending to some credibility...at least more than someone just posting something on the internet)...but his story loses all plausibility when he claims to have 300some "confirmed" kills. While some ninja warrior hero may possibly (but not plausibly) have that many kills, no one has that many "confirmed" kills.
    The reporter failed to properly investigate his claims, or conduct any sort of due diligence.

This is how alot of these posers are caught- they just can't help themselves with their outlandish claims. Had this guy claimed he was a support guy with no combat time, no one would have given him a second glance.

There was a case on LF a few years ago similar to this, a PFC claiming to be an SF sniper, posing with a Browning A-Bolt and 3x9 scope for his hometown newspaper. Much hilarity ensued when the story was forwarded to his Chain of Command.

If you could PM me a link to that thread please. I need my comedy for the evening there isn't crap on the tube tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by joshrunkle35 View Post
    ...since WWII.
    Simo Hayha was the man. 505 confirmed.

Hell, Vasily Zaitsev was credited with 242 Axis soldiers killed during Stalingrad.

So, ok I get he's a douchebag for the bullshit and deserves all the bad press he's getting and will get. But I notice comments about the police being contacted, is this guys fakery illegal in the US? Kudos if it is, can someone give me a Coles Notes version of what kind of charges he could face? I've run into more than a few of these types up here, a few have been exposed, others fade away or we ignore. Common theme, which this guy ignored, is the whole "my name was changed to protect my family" or something similar.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    So, ok I get he's a douchebag for the bullshit and deserves all the bad press he's getting and will get. But I notice comments about the police being contacted, is this guys fakery illegal in the US? Kudos if it is, can someone give me a Coles Notes version of what kind of charges he could face? I've run into more than a few of these types up here, a few have been exposed, others fade away or we ignore. Common theme, which this guy ignored, is the whole "my name was changed to protect my family" or something similar.

Up until fairly recently, this guy could have been prosecuted under the Stolen Valor Act of 2005.

Alas, it was ruled unconstitutional in 2010.

I would think that individuals who falsify or misrepresent military related claims/awards/status for personal benefit or gain could still be prosecuted for fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    Up until fairly recently, this guy could have been prosecuted under the Stolen Valor Act of 2005.

I would think that individuals who falsify or misrepresent military related claims/awards/status for personal benefit or gain could still be prosecuted for fraud.
    Couldn't Jamie Smith's family file a lawsuit against this douchebag since his "story" involved dishonoring CPL Smith's memory?

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post

I believe that the fake Purple Heart commendations and fake DD-214s are a BIG no-no...and if he received benefits, watch out.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

I remember one guy from CO (I think), who was big in the VFW/American Legion. He claimed that Reagan presented him the M.O.H. in a private ceremony. He got exposed and I believe did jail time. The owner of Stryder knives also got caught making false claims about having been in the Ranger Rgt.

“Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

“Based on the information we now have, it appears that in attempting to publish a story highlighting the bravery of an American fighting man on the Fourth of July weekend, The Free Press instead became the victim of a pretty elaborate lie,” Patrick Holmes, editor and publisher of The Free Press, said.
    Well, that rather neatly absolves the paper of any responsibility, doesn't it?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List