Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92A1 plus Wilson Combat = Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico1985 View Post
    Thanks for the info David. I'm pretty darn happy with the trigger pull as is. But then again maybe I don't know what I don't know reference the speed bump trigger and it's the cats meow.

Paul,

As far as I can tell your only options for current tritium front sights are trijicon bright and tough, HD, and Dawson precision.

The 92a1 does not have a beveled mag well or checkering. The m9a1 does but lacks the dove-tailed front sight.

I forgot to mention that the Hogue extreme aluminum grips keep coming loose after 75 or so rounds. I can't tighten them anymore than where they are without striping them. So I put the stock grips back on and may be returning them.
    Did you try thread locker on the grip screws? Can you use the screws from the stock grips? Maybe they shipped the wrong pitch thread?

I forgot to mention that the Hogue extreme aluminum grips keep coming loose after 75 or so rounds. I can't tighten them anymore than where they are without striping them. So I put the stock grips back on and may be returning them.
    Are you using the factory supplied lock washers? If not, you'll need to use a set of #60 O-rings to keep the screws in place.

Trooper224,

Something like this?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-60-...6774/100239341

Now I feel stupid. I was using the stock screws minus the washers (stock washers made screws stand tall of grips noticably). I actually started a return process for the grips (bought through amazon) but I'll cancel that and try the washers.

Thanks for the info.

Trooper224,

Something like this?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-60-...6774/100239341

Now I feel stupid. I was using the stock screws minus the washers (stock washers made screws stand tall of grips noticably). I actually started a return process for the grips (bought through amazon) but I'll cancel that and try the washers.

Thanks for the info.
    That looks a bit large and I may have erred on the number, but that's the general idea. Like this: https://vzgrips.com/o-rings

Grip materials like aluminun, G10, etc. usually need a washer or O ring to keep the screws tight.

I wanted to post an update to this thread I started with more subject impressions and objective shooting data. This gun continues to impress me in how easy it is to shoot. Current round count 770

I was in contact with Josh at Allegheny Gun Works to do about $600 worth of work to my gun. After finding out that the wait was going to be about 3 months to get it back I decided to put the mods on the back burner and drive on as is. I did follow David B’s lead and put a set of Vertec grips on my 92a1. These grips do a great job of reducing girth of the grip (better than the thin alumagrips I previously had on there). They seem to be slightly thinner than the stock grips which helps marginally with trigger reach for the DA shot. But the real improvement is area of the frame left uncovered by the straight line of the rear of the grips. It allows me have a more confident purchase on the gun and allows my strong hand fingers to wrap a little farther around the grip which in turns allows me to smash them into the grip with my support hand palm better, leading to a firmer grip (for me).

Also since the last update I installed the Wilson Combat extended magazine release as well as swapping the factory Trijicon rear for a .290” Wilson Combat rear. I did this to alter the POI at 25 from a drive the dot type sight picture to one that has POI just over POA at 25. I went to the range today to test the sights and mag release.

I started off by shooting at 25 yards and found POI was about 2-3” above POA for me. This seems to verify almost exactly the stats up on Wilson Combat’s website saying that every .010” of increase in rear sight height increases you POI 1.7” at 20 yards. Cool. I may, down the road try a .280” rear just for $hits and giggles as I would really prefer the POI 1” or so above POA but that’s splitting hairs really.

Next up was JodyH’s 99 drill. I’d never shot this drill before and was not looking forward to it. Since my JMCK AIWB is still a month out I had to use the Wilson Combat OWB holster unconcealed. I turned in a score 85/99 dropping %90 of the shots at 7 yards (that 2.5 sec par time is pretty tough, even more so when I re-shot it concealed). My reloads were consistently 2.10-2.30, an area I really need to work on.

Finally I shot Dot Torture at 7 yards. I’ve passed it at 5 yards twice before with the Beretta. I’ve tried it twice before at 7 yards with my g17 and minus connector and couldn’t get past the strong hand only portion. To my surprise I shot it clean.

I had one light primer strike with 115gr Winchester white box. I checked the primer and it was dimpled and re-loaded it and it fired. This happened once before with WWB and it didn’t ignite after two attempts and then fired when put in a G19. I’m wondering if the hammer spring is to light. I’m using the 16lb wolf spring sold on Wilson Combat’s website which advertises it as suitable for carry. Any ideas?

Take-a-ways:
    -The gun flat out shoots. It seems easier to exploit the accuracy of this gun than my G17 after training with it for a couple years and about 3.5k. As of today I have 770 rounds through the Beretta.
    -I can get an aggressive and high grip on the gun and still get the slide to lock back. I’ve had a problem with HK’s and my g17 in this area in the past and am stoked to not have to worry about it. I can also easily release the slide with my strong hand thumb which I prefer.
    -The Wilson mag release worked %100 better than stock. I had zero issues of not fully depressing the mag release when doing reloads.
    -I really like the sight picture combination of the Wilson rear and Trijicon front.
    -The combination of the short reach steel trigger, 16lb hammer spring and Vertec grips makes the DA very pleasant to shot.

So my previous comment about “if you were thinking about getting a Beretta 92a1, DO IT” still applies. I’ve found I’ve exceeded my performance with the g17 with the Beretta in much less time. Awesome.

Dot torture 7 yards:

Final configuration:
    Last edited by Serpico1985; 07-15-2014 at 01:50 PM. Reason: grammer

Also, forgot to mention I shot "The Test" (10 yard, 10 rounds, 10 seconds on repair center, 90 is passing score.) in 7.60 clean with 97 points. I've shot it clean with the Glock 17 a few times but always just barley making the time and low 90's.

Bumping my old thread for an update for anyone interested. The beretta continues to be a excellent platform and seems to work for me very well. I haven't kept a precise round count but am close to hitting 2k rounds. Work has kept me from the range of late.

Mods
    - I tried the Wilson Combat ultra thin grips and ended up putting the vertec's back on, just prefer the vertec's.
    - I added a little bit of stippling to the left side to help lock down my grip, seems to work well.

Me and my shooting partner are preparing for the upcoming Pat Mac/Mike Panone two day class and made it to the range recently. Amongst the high points of my recent shooting exploits were shooting a 282 on the Hackathorn standards from concealment besting my previous high score of 260 with the G17. Also shot two consecutive FAST tests and busted the 5 second barrier for the first time ever with a 4.97 run. Other run was a 5.48:

I really want a G conversion but don't want to be without the gun for an extended period of time. Anyway rock on beretta and keep turning out great guns.

Re: Hammer spring weights-IMO, a 16# should ignite any ammo on the market. Most of our tuned guns have a 13/14#.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    This thread is full of so much win. I realize that we are a fairly small group of shooters, but we are probably fairly representative of the community as a whole. The fact that the Beretta seems to be getting a lot of respect today pleases me as I'm someone who always enjoyed and trusted it despite a lot of nay-sayers. Thanks for quantifying your results.

Quote Originally Posted by David B. View Post
    You might want to consider one of Josh's (AGW) Speed bump triggers. It shortens the over travel and trigger reset. Makes both the DA and SA pulls feel better.

God Bless,
    David
    Is this a drop in trigger or does it have to be fitted?

Shot my Vertec at a match last night, based on IDPA, we shoot 3 different set ups, speed and accuracy count.. Out of 12 people, I came in 6th,(last month, shooting my VP9, out of 20 people I came in 16th) My speed is the problem, as I only dropped 2 shots for the night.. But, I'm shooting more against myself than anything. I've managed to accomplish one of my goals which is to draw and make DA first round hits on a repeatable basis. The Beretta really, really works well for me.. So much so, I'm actually considering carrying it. I'm beginning to think that the 92 series is probably a very underrated pistol, a few minor mods (Beretta steel trigger, Elite II hammer, and Beretta extended mag release) was all that was needed.. It's surprising how just a few parts can really change a pistol...

User Tag List