Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Carolina Cup 2014

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post

The SO's at The Range have seen a lot of improper handling over the years and know how to deal with it.
    Cody
    Out of curiosity, how would one deal with a shooter who has a seizure while his pistol is drawn and he is engaging targets? This wasn't covered in my RO class.

Quote Originally Posted by Pup town View Post
    Out of curiosity, how would one deal with a shooter who has a seizure while his pistol is drawn and he is engaging targets? This wasn't covered in my RO class.
    you'll need a young priest and an old priest...

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

If you have a history of gm seizures you can not drive...what makes it Ok to run a gun with 10 projectiles that can kill?

I'd hope to god someone would bench me if I had those issues. Just saying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    If you have a history of gm seizures you can not drive...what makes it Ok to run a gun with 10 projectiles that can kill?

I'd hope to god someone would bench me if I had those issues. Just saying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    That is not true. In most states you can drive if your seizure disorder is under control by medications. In NC, you need only a attestation from your physician to drive. In Arizona, if you are newly diagnosed with a seizure disorder or a significant stroke, you are banned from driving for 3 months until cleared by your Neurologist. When people have seizures, they don't start flailing around with the uncontrollable urge to pull their trigger fingers. A lot times they freeze up, drop everything from their hands and lose bowel and bladder control. People with seizure disorders live productive lives, work and pay taxes and have fun. I think to demonize them as time bombs is wrong. Now if that dude in question is a non-compliant patient...his is a liability to hurt himself for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    - Most interesting stage: shooting with head upside down and targets right side up, laying on a decline table with feet at the top and head at bottom;
    How did they set this up safely?
    Last edited by orionz06; 06-22-2014 at 07:16 PM.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    That is not true. In most states you can drive if your seizure disorder is under control by medications. In NC, you need only a attestation from your physician to drive. In Arizona, if you are newly diagnosed with a seizure disorder or a significant stroke, you are banned from driving for 3 months until cleared by your Neurologist. When people have seizures, they don't start flailing around with the uncontrollable urge to pull their trigger fingers. A lot times they freeze up, drop everything from their hands and lose bowel and bladder control. People with seizure disorders live productive lives, work and pay taxes and have fun. I think to demonize them as time bombs is wrong. Now if that dude in question is a non-compliant patient...his is a liability to hurt himself for sure.
    Understood on that, the question is how do you make sure the person is medicated and under control? I have had family and close friends with this issue, I am not insensitive to it in the least and well aware of what happens. I have sacrificed my wallet more then once for the greater good.

YVK said, in another thread, that he won an IDPA match this weekend. Was it this match?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    How did they set this up safely?
    If you have Facebook look up Gun Girl Bree. She has a video of that stage.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    Understood on that, the question is how do you make sure the person is medicated and under control? I have had family and close friends with this issue, I am not insensitive to it in the least and well aware of what happens. I have sacrificed my wallet more then once for the greater good.
    Basically you ask them to and you assume the risks of going into an environment where people are shooting guns. Otherwise you would have to ask on the Carolina Cup application their medical history; make sure you follow HIPPA (HEALTH INSURANCE PORTABILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY ACT) laws and regulations; get a physician to set protocols and rules, etc, etc. Heck, I think dangerous gun handling habits like running between targets with the finger on the trigger is way more prevalent than seizures. You don't even have to prove that you passed any gun safety class or even know how to shoot (ie Novice rating) to participate in the event. IDPA allow for physically disabled people to participate. There is enough nannies and regulators in the gun world....they don't anymore help excluding people from shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Basically you ask them to and you assume the risks of going into an environment where people are shooting guns. Otherwise you would have to ask on the Carolina Cup application their medical history; make sure you follow HIPPA (HEALTH INSURANCE PORTABILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY ACT) laws and regulations; get a physician to set protocols and rules, etc, etc. Heck, I think dangerous gun handling habits like running between targets with the finger on the trigger is way more prevalent than seizures. You don't even have to prove that you passed any gun safety class or even know how to shoot (ie Novice rating) to participate in the event. IDPA allow for physically disabled people to participate. There is enough nannies and regulators in the gun world....they don't anymore help excluding people from shooting.
    HIPAA has a pretty narrow list of people that are covered under that law, there are few covered entities outside of people that are involved directly in the providing and billing of medical care.

Anyways as you noted it is pretty uncommon. USPSA dealt with it via a BOD meeting but only after the shooter had a seizure at a major match that resulted in him sweeping everyone on the stage. And from my understanding the response was to suspend the shooter until he could show proof that he could safely compete. But there is nothing written down so this information is third hand.

User Tag List