Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Carolina Cup 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I don't understand why a MD would intentionally build stages that violate the rule book issued by the sanctioning body of the sport.

I'm not super up on IDPA rules and procedures, but if a competitor complained that the stage was illegal, and it did violate the rule book, would it get tossed after the fact?
    When I worked for frank as an SO (4 times) he was never worried about more then a safe and fun match.

I don't see him burning the midnight oil publishing his stages on the IDPA web site 2 weeks before the match.

I think after the Nationals, at The Range, HQ and Frank must have had a vision difference. The story was the Nationals would be there for a couple years but that didn't happen. Also the same time he ended his run as the Indoor MD.

I don't understand why a MD would intentionally build stages that violate the rule book issued by the sanctioning body of the sport.

I'm not super up on IDPA rules and procedures, but if a competitor complained that the stage was illegal, and it did violate the rule book, would it get tossed after the fact?
    There is a difference between a stage that is UNFAIR and a stage that is FAIR but violated a rule. I shoot a lot of sanctioned matches and this happens all the time to a limited degree. Even last year's National's had a stage that violated the design rules. An Area Coordinator that I know said this, "It's impossible to write a set of rules for every possible situation," and "The match design rules are there to make sure nothing too extreme happens." Someone *could have* objected to the weak hand reload stage, but EVERYBODY wanted to shoot it and must have thought it was fair. I certainly did. We need to be challenged by something that puts us out of our comfort zone. We had a guy on our squad who is Grand Master and IDPA Master and he didn't object to it and he said, "That stage put me out of my comfort zone."

Also, stage design rules fall into a different category from shooting rules. Frank did not let anyone violate the shooting rules except P2 6 foot wide. I think there he was making a statement....the rule needs to be revised. All of the other stages required flat-footed reloads and they would give you bonus points if you violated it.

The fact that IDPA HQ didn't intervene leads me to believe that they may be moving towards a policy of giving more power to the MD's. I think that is a good idea, after all, the MD's are the ones who run the club matches and are the real backbone of IDPA. Without the MD's and the supporting clubs, IDPA will not thrive.

I think a bigger issue right now is the number of new shooters coming into IDPA who don't have safety fundamentals. I see WAY TOO MANY shooters putting their fingers in the trigger area while moving and reloading. I also see way too many people using their weak hand to assist holstering....if you cannot holster Strong Hand Only, you need to go home and dry fire practice that until you can do it every time. It sucks to hand out DQ's.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by m91196 View Post
    What do you think about the disregard for the rules?

Does that play into the softer field of competitors?

The event used to be #2 behind Nationals for quality of competition and stages.

It may have the stages.
    Top competitors didn't come for a variety of reasons, and I can't believe they would not show because of Franks' stretching the rules. (I gotta believe they will support him.) There are a number of top competitors who have won Division Championships at The Carolina Cup already, multiple trophies. Some are going heavy into 3Gun. Frank recognizes that and is hosting Tidewater 3Gun in August, and the T3G Matches are the most fun matches I have ever shot. There was a big 3gun event that weekend, so I know at least two who didn't do CCup because of that. Vogel has a money-making training (there is no trophy money for CCup). Vogel has won this many times, and I know of only one shooter who is good enough to beat him right now, at least in IDPA. (there may be others, I just don't know of them).

Can't wait for next year.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    The fact that IDPA HQ didn't intervene leads me to believe that they may be moving towards a policy of giving more power to the MD's. I think that is a good idea, after all, the MD's are the ones who run the club matches and are the real backbone of IDPA. Without the MD's and the supporting clubs, IDPA will not thrive.
    Allowing the MDs to bend the rules as they see fit will only further hurt IDPA when it comes to the top level and other traveling competitors.

I talked to two Masters about it at the Cup and neither objected to them. One said, "If Frank put it in the match, I am gonna shoot it." Also, I would not say that the MD's can do *anything* they want...just those things that are in the grey areas. I have shot enough USPSA matches to see that stages are sometimes "unorthodox," and violate a rule.
    Cody
    Last edited by cclaxton; 06-26-2014 at 10:46 AM.

I am a Master shooter(that's C class USPSA) and I think all matches should abide by the rules and if they don't like them then change 'em.

The mentioning of USPSA isn't really necessary but I would have to think long and hard the last time I shot a match that violated a rule in that sport, mostly because there are not lot to tangle you up in stage design.

Sounds to me like Frank just found a hole in the rules and filled it. If there is a problem, next rule book will likely have a Tigerrific solution.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Sounds to me like Frank just found a hole in the rules and filled it. If there is a problem, next rule book will likely have a Tigerrific solution.
    No doubt it will be all tiger'd up.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Rawr!

I love tigers, leopards, and majestic and menacing cats in general.

Don't worry dog lovers, I love dogs too.

[IMG]leopard-attack by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

The following is a rumor. The rumor from various sources is that Frank was not pleased with how the new rulebook turned out, and was underwhelmed with the response when he voiced his opinion.

That's just a rumor though.

User Tag List