Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Carolina Cup 2014

The Carolina Cup 2014

Some videos of me and my squad shooting The Carolina Cup 2014. https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...52364305823553
    We had great weather, although it was really muggy/wet on Saturday from the rain on Sat night.
    18 stages over two days.

Interesting facts and comments:
    - The guy who was SSP Champion (SSP Master) has never shot USPSA, and lamented he would have liked to go up against Vogel (Vogel had a money-making training event)
    - Scott Warren, Morgan Allen and Brandon Wright all shot the match;
    - There was only .5sec difference in time between the ESP Champion and SSP Champion;
    - There were enough SSR revolver shooters for one guy to get a match bump to Expert;
    - The largest Div/Class was SSP Sharpshooter;
    - The fastest time was about 223s, the slowest was over 500s, average around 330 seconds.
    - Most interesting stage: shooting with head upside down and targets right side up, laying on a decline table with feet at the top and head at bottom;
    - Most uncomfortable stage: Shooting weak hand while retreating, then reloading from slide lock without moving your gun out of the weak hand;
    - Stage needed the fastest shooting: At cash register, grab gun off counter underneath register and engage 3 moving and disappearing targets 2 shots each within 3 seconds.
    - Toughest Shots: Shooting from the rear of a caravan through it's windows, through another set of car windows head shots 3 shots each at about 15 yards without hitting headrest or car metal;
    - Most fun stage: Cash register stage and two simultaneous drop turners sitting from table.
    - Local shooters came home with 1st Place SSR SS (and bump to Expert), 1st Place CDP SS (and bump to expert), Mike Haskin 3rd Place ESP SS (and match bump) and Darryl Swiggett 4th Place ESP SS.
    - Me...lower third of SSP SS. Had way too many procedurals and shot too slow. Only 1 non-threat made me happy.

If you have never been to The Carolina Cup, you need to do it...at least once in your life. Oh, and don't forget about the southern hospitality and great NC barbecue. You will not regret it....even Grand Master's and Five Gun masters are humbled by the match.

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Actually, the SSP champ is a USPSA GM

Quote Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
    Actually, the SSP champ is a USPSA GM
    Yeap...

I stand corrected. I was talking to Nick and I must have misunderstood.
    However, he did start in IDPA....and still shoots it.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Is the Five Gun Master still a thing? Been a while since I heard that in any context other than a joke...

And was the medically impaired shooter allowed to compete? Must say when I heard about that one it seriously made me question what "big IDPA" is thinking these days. We can quibble back and forth over a lot of little stupidity (or even bigger and more flashy kinds of stupid that are just flavours of organizational derp.) But when it comes to even debating appropriate reactions to things like prior grand mal seizures on the shooting line...

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I stand corrected. I was talking to Nick and I must have misunderstood.
    However, he did start in IDPA....and still shoots it.
    Cody
    I think your anti-USPSA bias is effecting your hearing.

You are right that the Carolina Cup is a special match, though.

Quote Originally Posted by abu fitna View Post
    And was the medically impaired shooter allowed to compete? Must say when I heard about that one it seriously made me question what "big IDPA" is thinking these days. We can quibble back and forth over a lot of little stupidity (or even bigger and more flashy kinds of stupid that are just flavours of organizational derp.) But when it comes to even debating appropriate reactions to things like prior grand mal seizures on the shooting line...
    I wonder if it was the same guy as the guy who came up during a recent USPSA BOD meeting due to a seizure at a match that caused him to sweep the entire line?

Anyways what brought that up, I didn't see anything about that in Cody's post?

Supposedly the same guy as the earlier USPSA incident was also scheduled to compete at the Cup, and IDPA mgt was not exactly active on addressing the issue. But I don't know the full story here, just heard about this from some other folks who apparently got all fired up about it this week. (I guess there has been a lot of things to get folks seeing red this week, but I am well behind the curve in hearing the news).

brought it up simply because this seemed to be a thread discussing what went down at the Cup, by someone that was there. Wished I could have been, but the job gets in the way of a lot of things these days.

Quote Originally Posted by abu fitna View Post
    Supposedly the same guy as the earlier USPSA incident was also scheduled to compete at the Cup, and IDPA mgt was not exactly active on addressing the issue. But I don't know the full story here, just heard about this from some other folks who apparently got all fired up about it this week. (I guess there has been a lot of things to get folks seeing red this week, but I am well behind the curve in hearing the news). brought it up simply because this seemed to be a thread discussing what went down at the Cup, by someone that was there. Wished I could have been, but the job gets in the way of a lot of things these days.
    No one was saying anything about this issue. The most controversial things were related to Frank redefining that a position, in this case P2 was about 6 feet wide, and since it was ONE shooting position, you could reload anywhere within that position even if you moved your feet. Most of the other discussions were around the usual questions about whether a particular stage met all the legal requirements, and whether procedural calls were legit. I know of only one case where Frank was called to make a ruling.

The SO's at The Range have seen a lot of improper handling over the years and know how to deal with it. I don't think I am going out on a limb here to say that Frank generally believes people should have the chance to shoot. So, it would surprise me if he denied any shooter unless he was personally convinced the shooter isn't safe. But I have no direct knowledge.
    Cody

Gordon Carroll 1st ESP master was 32 seconds faster then 2nd place esp master at 208.08

Was There a deep field of esp DM's or something?

The scores won't make the IDPA site, powered by Range waste, for days.....

User Tag List