Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Tactical" Wear- What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I love catalogs - growing up I spent a lot of time in the Bass Pro and Cabela's catalogs, wishing and dreaming about buying this and doing that, and whatnot. Getting to order something back then was a pain, but very exciting. Filing out the order form, mailing it off, then waiting for stuff to show back up a couple weeks later. It sounds silly but I have fond memories of that.

That said, let's be honest - 99% of either of those catalogs is nothing more than "transfer devices" that don't accomplish anything except moving money from your bank account to theirs. You don't need most of that stuff to hunt, fish, shoot, or be tactical. But people buy it because they like buying things. Whether it's retail therapy, or a status symbol, or genuine ignorance, or misguided good intentions, or heck, even good old "I just want one..." we all fall into the trap occasionally (granted some more than others). Despite what they advertise, their business is to make money selling you stuff, not to help you be better at whatever it is you do. If you were ever satisfied with what you're doing, you'd stop buying as much stuff, right? That's a bad business model.

I have to remind myself that needs will typically make themselves known. If I look at something and can't figure out why I need it...I probably don't.

Of course I suppose that was kind of the point of the OP, more than an actual question
    Yep. However, time and time again here at PF.com, I blithely blunder into a topic, smugly assured I know something about something and find that I don't.

That's why I ask.

And yes, I spent many happy hours pouring over the old Herter's catalogs, eager to find out what indispensable device ol' George had invented last year.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Crap, I'm wearing flip flops, a Millennium Falcon t-shirt, and cargo shorts. I'm going to get killed today, right?
    But you have your coffee cup, right?

I have very little "tactical" clothing (a few pairs of 5.11 and 5.11ish pants). I only feel the need to wear them when I'm... wait for it.. Actually shooting. As in a match or a class. I like the extra pockets for mags, tape, etc. The slash back pockets make it especially easy to grab loose ammo to top off mags.
    Since I don't otherwise carry all that stuff around, and I don't even wear a costume at Halloween anymore , I usually just wear normal type clothes.

Complaining about "tactical" is the low hanging fruit of the gun world.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Do the hippies and hikers who buy these shirts from Royal Robbins have any idea how tacticool they really are?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Do the hippies and hikers who buy these shirts from Royal Robbins have any idea how tacticool they really are?
    When I was living in the PNW, it was really hard to tell a serious hiker all outfitted in Arc'Teryx gear from a Tactical Timmy all outfitted in Arc'Teryx gear.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    When I was living in the PNW, it was really hard to tell a serious hiker all outfitted in Arc'Teryx gear from a Tactical Timmy all outfitted in Arc'Teryx gear.
    The tactical guy is the one in non-earth-tone colors, so he can be more Gray Man.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    The tactical guy is the one in non-earth-tone colors, so he can be more Gray Man.
    "The ones in hiking gear are tactical guys. The ones is brightly colored hiking gear, are well-disciplined tactical guys"
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    Floppy light weight Magellan Fishing shirts work fine in TX heat. They are cheap too. I have the tac vests and 5-11s for matches.

As far as Luke, his situational awareness could not detect he was lusting after his sister. In the new Star Wars, will Luke and Han do a Tueller demo for light saber vs. blaster. Chewey was into OC has he had NO pants.

Until they come out with a line of Tactical Skinny Jeans I'm not interested. Got appearances to keep up.

I do wonder what Tactical Skinny Jeans would look like. I'm thinking lots of bulges where there shouldn't be bulges.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Floppy light weight Magellan Fishing shirts work fine in TX heat.
    I like the Columbia ones. Those plus cargo shorts are as tactical as I ever get. Basically my tactical gear is dad clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    As far as Luke, his situational awareness could not detect he was lusting after his sister. In the new Star Wars, will Luke and Han do a Tueller demo for light saber vs. blaster. Chewey was into OC has he had NO pants.
    That's funny right there.

User Tag List