Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "Tactical" Wear- What am I missing?

"Tactical" Wear- What am I missing?

Not to pick on any particular vendor or company but as I was thumbing through the latest Cabela's "Shooting" catalog this AM over breakfast, I noticed they had several pages of "tactical" wear. Shirts with hidden access pockets, RFID proof pockets, fake buttons, colorful camo patterns, magnets and the like. It seems like there is an ever growing number of name brands offering shirts designed for CCW and all seem to offer these must have HSLD features.

How come I've never needed such doo-dads to access the heater? Am I doing it wrong? Is CCW so mainstream now that it has become a fashion statement?

I don't want to do anything that will get me killed on the streets.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Ask the dudes that will buy Costa action figures.

And yes, there is a large trend, at least where I live that if you carry, you're probably wearing certain clothing that is an indicator.

Crap, I'm wearing flip flops, a Millennium Falcon t-shirt, and cargo shorts. I'm going to get killed today, right?

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Crap, I'm wearing flip flops, a Millennium Falcon t-shirt, and cargo shorts. I'm going to get killed today, right?
    Use the Force, Luke.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Use the Force, Luke.
    Luke was a whiny bitch.

Han shot first, had a cool spaceship, an awesome sidekick, and got the girl. There's a reason I bought Falcon shirt and not the "Jedi" one. ;-)

I'm eagerly awaiting the tactical lead codpieces in the future. Surefire brand I hope.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    The magnetic "button" thing is kinda cool, actually. I mean, if you're the sort to button your gun burkha. I just walk around with my Royal Robbins shirts hanging open 'cause my boss doesn't care if I dress like a hobo.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Dude we are both gettin' 'kilt in da streetz' today. I'm wearing flip-flops, cargo shorts, and a T-shirt that says on it, "I'm not arguing with you - I am explaining why I am right."

How can we have been steered so wrong?

-Rob

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Speaking of hidden inside pockets... I have totally nerded out over this stuff.

I have walked and biked around Broad Ripple with a Microsoft Surface in the inside pocket. Love it.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I love catalogs - growing up I spent a lot of time in the Bass Pro and Cabela's catalogs, wishing and dreaming about buying this and doing that, and whatnot. Getting to order something back then was a pain, but very exciting. Filing out the order form, mailing it off, then waiting for stuff to show back up a couple weeks later. It sounds silly but I have fond memories of that.

That said, let's be honest - 99% of either of those catalogs is nothing more than "transfer devices" that don't accomplish anything except moving money from your bank account to theirs. You don't need most of that stuff to hunt, fish, shoot, or be tactical. But people buy it because they like buying things. Whether it's retail therapy, or a status symbol, or genuine ignorance, or misguided good intentions, or heck, even good old "I just want one..." we all fall into the trap occasionally (granted some more than others). Despite what they advertise, their business is to make money selling you stuff, not to help you be better at whatever it is you do. If you were ever satisfied with what you're doing, you'd stop buying as much stuff, right? That's a bad business model.

I have to remind myself that needs will typically make themselves known. If I look at something and can't figure out why I need it...I probably don't.

Of course I suppose that was kind of the point of the OP, more than an actual question
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List