Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simulators?

Simulators?

I had a chance to try out the VirTra (virtra.com) system at a local range (OnTarget in Crystal Lake, IL) that is using it as a part of their CCW training.

I found it fascinating and useful as a training tool. One thing instructor kept asking was if I was feeling nervous at all due to the realism depicted in the situations, etc.
    Honestly, I felt fine - to say that I'm "used" to handling a pistol is an understatement - and I've long ago steeled myself for some of the terrible stuff mankind does to one another.

I was surprised to hear that many people/cops just freaked out after running a handful of scenarios... I dunno...

Has that happened to anyone/anyone's dept.? If so, how did you guys/your training methodology deal with it?

Link to the manufacturer's page

Never been in one, but it sure looks cool. I'm also interested to see what people do with the Oculus Rift down the road. As far as freaking out, there are plenty of YouTube videos out there of people flipping out at VR environments.
    Sheep Have Wool

One of my gripes is that too many people focus on building skill with the pistol and not focusing on the application of the pistol. I think that video simulators have a huge, underused training value. The initial cost of simulators deters many but the simulator's ability to remove novelty from armed confrontations is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Have Wool View Post
    As far as freaking out, there are plenty of YouTube videos out there of people flipping out at VR environments.
    Freaking out like this?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    One of my gripes is that too many people focus on building skill with the pistol and not focusing on the application of the pistol. I think that video simulators have a huge, underused training value. The initial cost of simulators deters many but the simulator's ability to remove novelty from armed confrontations is huge.
    Coming from the other side... I've been building skill for a long time and it was nice not having to think about my ability to "make the shot" or not. That really left me free to pay attention to the situation as it unfolded. Big props to some of the training I've received at Rogers School for being able to just raise the gun and make the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by WIILSHOOT View Post
    I had a chance to try out the VirTra (virtra.com) system at a local range (OnTarget in Crystal Lake, IL) that is using it as a part of their CCW training.

I found it fascinating and useful as a training tool. One thing instructor kept asking was if I was feeling nervous at all due to the realism depicted in the situations, etc.
    Honestly, I felt fine - to say that I'm "used" to handling a pistol is an understatement - and I've long ago steeled myself for some of the terrible stuff mankind does to one another.

I was surprised to hear that many people/cops just freaked out after running a handful of scenarios... I dunno...

Has that happened to anyone/anyone's dept.? If so, how did you guys/your training methodology deal with it?
    It's all those violent video games, they've desensitized you to virtual violence. If you can drown a Nazi in his own urine and then stab him in the head, a VR school shooter is pretty tame.

This year we started going to the local Community College, which has a PRISim simulator. We are scheduled to use it every quarter this year. Damn thing shoots back too...

Thankfully shooting/practicing a lot on my off days with my duty gear helped me focus on the situations as they unfolded.

I like the training and see it as being beneficial in aiding the decision making process in shoot-no shoot situations as well as which level of force to use should lethal not be required. PRISim has Tasers, flashlights, OC, and obviously firearms that are exactly like the duty weapon and they all interact with the system.

http://www.nitorprojects.com/prisim.php

Freaking out like this?
    Basically.

Freakout starts about a minute in when the roller coaster starts to go downhill.

Sheep Have Wool

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    It's all those violent video games, they've desensitized you to virtual violence. If you can drown a Nazi in his own urine and then stab him in the head, a VR school shooter is pretty tame.
    Here's the messed up thing - I get violently ill when playing video games (other than Samy's Sport Shooting...) and haven't played in ~20 years.
    I can't even stand to see people playing...

That's said, I wish there were Nazi killing with urine scenarios for this thing!

Here's the messed up thing - I get violently ill when playing video games (other than Samy's Sport Shooting...) and haven't played in ~20 years.
    I can't even stand to see people playing...

That's said, I wish there were Nazi killing with urine scenarios for this thing!
    I actually can imagine a future where FPS games go more immersive like this. Basically holodecks, but you bring your own gear.

(dear Tech Gods, I want a holodeck SO BAD)

User Tag List