Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheating Scandal in USPSA

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Those aren't very reliable, particularly on field courses.

Honestly the way to deal with it, is the RO calls the score out and holds the timer for the score person to see. It isn't fool proof, but it requires more than one person involved to cheat the system.
    I would find it suspicious if the SO/RO didn't show me the timer to confirm.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I would find it suspicious if the SO/RO didn't show me the timer to confirm.
    I've never seen the timer, nor ask for it. I've always just trusted the ROs. *shrugs* It seems like a a pretty objective measurement as long as it is written down correctly. Of course this RO is making me rethink that.

Now I always follow the RO around for the scoring, as there is room for subjectively in that an RO deciding if it is worth breaking out the overlay. But that is pretty rare since I shoot mostly alphas.

Perhaps the NRA's method of using non-competing ROs is the best, but then again he wasn't changing his score. Only the scores of his friends, how do you prevent the ROs from making friends?

There is some funny stuffy out there in the interwebz. My favorite, with appropriate picture, is "if you like your time, you can keep it."
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

All of the experienced ROs at my club set a good example both calling out the time and showing the timer to the ARO/scorekeeper and whomever is following the shooter with a camera. Now more than ever I see the merits in how they've done that.

I still wonder why we're depending on the RO for the delay between Stand By and the beep. IMHO it should be 2 seconds +/- 0.5 seconds, randomized. That's another area that seems ripe for the RO to mess with the shooter's head.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

So, what are "they" (USPSA directors, etc.) gonna DO with this guy? The evidence seems pretty conclusive.

While not a serious competitor, I've been to enough USPSA events to have a good idea about the sport. Of all the potential problems that could occur at a match, I gotta say this is the LAST one I would have imagined.

Simply amazing…

Heresay: I was talking to a USPSA RO yesterday and he said they are going with a lifetime ban from USPSA. That sounds kinda severe to me, but he should never run a timer or keep score again or be involved in officiating any events.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    ...lifetime ban from USPSA. That sounds kinda severe to me, but he should never run a timer or keep score again or be involved in officiating any events.
    If you had sole authority to make the decision, what sentence would you hand down?

Personally, I don't think a lifetime ban is at all severe, given the totality of the evidence.

Curious to hear why you think he should still be allowed to participate in a sport that he rigged for years. His deliberate actions were directly responsible for changing match outcomes for numerous competitors.

Would you ever shoot next to a man who had doctored your time the previous year, altering your match ranking(s)?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Heresay: I was talking to a USPSA RO yesterday and he said they are going with a lifetime ban from USPSA. That sounds kinda severe to me, but he should never run a timer or keep score again or be involved in officiating any events.
    Cody
    I don't shoot USPSA, but if this isn't a lifetime ban offense, what is? He's made a mockery of numerous events, calling all the results into question. Obviously he can't be allowed to RO again, but what do you think will happen if this guy shows up to shoot? Best for the sport to wave bye.
    Sheep Have Wool

I just re-upped my uspsa membership. This incident didn't make me regret that, but the way uspsa is handling it makes me happy.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    If you had sole authority to make the decision, what sentence would you hand down?
    Personally, I don't think a lifetime ban is at all severe, given the totality of the evidence.
    Curious to hear why you think he should still be allowed to participate in a sport that he rigged for years. His deliberate actions were directly responsible for changing match outcomes for numerous competitors.
    Would you ever shoot next to a man who had doctored your time the previous year, altering your match ranking(s)?
    Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Lifetime ban on running a timer, keeping score or officiating. 2 year ban on participating in USPSA.
    Emotions are running high right now, and it is usually the worse time to make a decision on punishment.

Our American society is stronger when we apologize for our offenses, pay the consequences and be given forgiveness. The consequence should fit the offense.

In this case it wasn't his participation in shooting, but it was his role as RO. Sure, I might be mad at him for negatively altering my score, but let's put this into context: The impact on individual shooters was minimal. Unless you had this RO more than 50% of the time and he consistently downgraded your time, the law of averages are still in your favor. I just don't see the argument for how badly it affected a particular shooter and more importantly, whether any financial injury occurred. Bragging rights might have been affected, but frankly not much value in that. Whether a club wants to allow him to shoot after 2 years (in my judgement) is up to them and to the shooters at his club or clubs. If he came and shot on a squad at Quantico with me, I could care less as long as he doesn't run the timer or write the scores down.

USPSA has a much stronger case to make that it affected the good reputation of the organization and, could potentially sue for damages to their reputation. That has a cost-benefit analysis as well, and probably doesn't pay to sue unless the guy is rich.

I don't have a dog in this fight, so...whatever.
    Cody
    Last edited by cclaxton; 06-19-2014 at 07:57 AM.

User Tag List