Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steel Targets, Safe Distance?

Plated or lead bullets work best but most of the issues I have seen have been with higher velocity hollow point ammo.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Plated or lead bullets work best but most of the issues I have seen have been with higher velocity hollow point ammo.
    Ok, cool.

So, lowest price point, new, 115 gr FMJ is good to go for steel...yes?

(I've got an order in checkout with sgammo.com for x00 rounds of Speer Lawman new brass 115 TMJ.)
    Last edited by RJ; 09-23-2015 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Ok, cool.

So, lowest price point, new, 115 gr FMJ is good to go for steel...yes?

(I've got an order in checkout with sgammo.com for x00 rounds of Speer Lawman new brass 115 TMJ.)
    It's not unsafe with good targets, and lots of people use them, but neither FMJ nor TMJ is "lead or plated" in the post you're replying to. FMJ and TMJ are "jacketed" and pieces of jacket will potentially come back.

Ok, so all other things being equal, using my normal training ammo (Say, Federal Champion 115 brass new) for steel is ok?

I wear a cap, good ballistic wrap around eye pro, and short sleeve T-shirts. Maybe I'll go with a long sleeve shirt next month.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Ok, so all other things being equal, using my normal training ammo (Say, Federal Champion 115 brass new) for steel is ok?

I wear a cap, good ballistic wrap around eye pro, and short sleeve T-shirts. Maybe I'll go with a long sleeve shirt next month.

Thanks!

Yes, your ammo is fine. Bullet weight doesn't matter, the difference in mass between a 147 gr and a 115 gr bullet is something like .075 ounces........

When people say "lead or plated" bullets they mean cast lead bullets that are either bare lead, polymer coated, or copper plated.

Those bullets do not have a separate copper sheet jacket and tend to just flatten out with minimal fragmentation. The copper plating on plated bullets does not react to impact by fragmenting the way a copper jacket does.

You'll be going to an organized match with target setting guidelines based on sound safety practices. Don't worry about it
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 09-24-2015 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Yes, your ammo is fine. Bullet weight doesn't matter, the difference in mass between a 147 gr and a 115 gr bullet is something like .075 ounces........

When people say "lead or plated" bullets they mean cast lead bullets that are either bare lead, polymer coated, or copper plated.

Those bullets do not have a separate copper sheet jacket and tend to just flatten out with minimal fragmentation. The copper plating on plated bullets does not react to impact by fragmenting the way a copper jacket does.

You'll be going to an organized match with target setting guidelines based on sound safety practices. Don't worry about it
    Copy. Thanks.

TMJ bullets are plated, just a thicker plating than a berrys.

User Tag List