Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG SB15 brace build thread

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    My BCM 11.5" lightweight with 10" KMR is en route. Cannot freaking wait.
    Drool!

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I don't know how SBR is handled in MD, but here's a head-scratcher for you...

The SIG M400 classic rifle is now a banned "assault long gun" and can no longer be purchased in MD, even with its federally-legal 16" barrel.

The SIG M400 pistol, however, is on MD's handgun roster (the list of handguns allowed to be sold in our state).

[shrug] go figure [/shrug]
    Oh man, I think that one can be beaten. Chicago/Cook County AWB bans AR15s, AKs, etc. Originally, it also banned AR/AK pattern pistols and all pistols patterned off of so-called assault weapons. Now since the state of Illinois passed shall-issue concealed carry, the concealed carry law preempts all city/county regulatory efforts on pistols. Which means that you can have any and all the pistols you want in Illinois, but still can't have any assault weapons in Chicago. It also means with a valid permit you can carry those guns on your person...Needless to say, I am watching this thread with interest.

I am really thinking of building one with one of these on it: http://www.lawtactical.com/product_p/2012201.htm - With a pistol buffer tube and SB15, and 7.5" .300 BLK upper. Folded with a 20-round magazine it should fit right into my daily carry messenger bag.

Edit: I might have missed it, was there a consensus on running piston vs. DI uppers at short (sub-10") length?

-Rob
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 06-20-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

I am really thinking of building one with one of these on it: http://www.lawtactical.com/product_p/2012201.htm - With a pistol buffer tube and SB15, and 7.5" .300 BLK upper. Folded with a 20-round magazine it should fit right into my daily carry messenger bag.

-Rob
    Oddly enough, I just saw this exact same setup today when an acquaintance showed me his because I had been asking about a pistol build. It made me green with envy. And it fits into an incredibly tiny bag.

Ive ran this 10.5 inch Noveske in 300 blk for over 6 months now. The one thing I'll note about the KAK reciver extension is the brace swivels on it some, and has a flat top. If its turned sideways some it will partially hang up the charging handle.

Runs great, although I have had some ammo related issues (very few, but worth noting maybe 5 failures in 500 rounds) with some cheaper reloads I bought using M80 bullet pulls and LC 5.56 brass, but it was .60c/round when I bought it so for practice ammo I dont care. With factory Remmington ammo (subs and normal) it ran 100% though another 500 rounds. I plan on getting some trigger time on it in the Frank Proctor carbine class Im hosting next weekend, if even just part of a day.
    Pittsburgh, PA host for www.aliastraining.com , and www.shivworks.com

www.anti-fragile.net

Site Supporter
    I'd go with an H, H2 or H3 buffer. What buffer are using currently Caleb?

Buffers typically have sliding weights. Spikes uses powder inside.

I'd avoid. An H or H2 should be fine.

My thrown together 9mm pistol............

Note the awesome castle nut that is NOT there!!! HITAF do I not have a castle nut in my parts bins? Guess I'll have to fix it tomorrow..........Grrrrr........

Sean, who makes the lower and does it take Glock mags?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Company called DDLES........... Double Diamond LE Supply? I dunno. I think that is correct. Been slow rolling this for awhile now, piecing together a little here and a little there, and since I dicked up the Form 1 to SBR it, figured I may as well just roll it as a pistol until the ATF declares it a rifle with my stamp.

Sporting a 5.5" barrel, and the suppressor (still not transferred from manufacturer) will sit about 2" past the rail.

It does take Glock mags.

I have no good reason for this project, other than "I can". Or rather should I say "Can I?". Because I honestly don't even know if the thing will shoot, or be reliable, or, or, or........guess time will tell. As in, whenever all of the paperworks are done and I have all of the parts.........

DDLES makes the lowers that take Glock mags (Double Diamond LE Supply is correct). If you want a 9mm AR I'd recommend the CMMG Colt-style mag dedicated gun, or getting a Hahn Precision dedicated mag block and installing it. Unless you have just tons of 33-round Glock mags. The C-Products and ASC 32-round magazines are available almost all day long for between $12-17 bucks. The Colt-style mag blocks and magazines with a proper buffer are actually quite reliable. I've had a setup with a Hahn mag block, Hahn heavy buffer, in a New Frontier lower, with an RRA upper on it for a couple of years now. Runs better than any DI/Piston 5.56 or .300 gun I have ever had. With a suppressor and subsonic and the right buffer spring, I'd expect them to run great. I think the issues with the Glock-mag lowers were feeding and bolt-hold opens. It makes sense at some level, the Colt-style mags are true dual column dual-feed mags and very reliable in a blowback system. The only thing that screws them up is insufficient spring pressure, crappy followers, or not being properly positioned within the magazine well. I think the issues with the DDLES uppers were issues of the magazine being seated too low.

-Rob

Yea, since I already own it, and have NFA paperwork started on it, guess I'll have to forgo getting an entirely new set up and system. And I have an endless supply of 33 round Glock mags.

User Tag List