Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Double-feeds on my 92FS compact

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Good call. Also, I've heard it's possible to install a lighter hammer spring from the D series Berettas. Will the D spring reliably crack primers?
    Been discussed quite a bit here in other threads (if you want to indulge yourself) but the short answer is yes.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Been discussed quite a bit here in other threads (if you want to indulge yourself) but the short answer is yes.
    Much appreciated. I'll hit the search button

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Good call. Also, I've heard it's possible to install a lighter hammer spring from the D series Berettas. Will the D spring reliably crack primers?
    Ive been running D springs for both my carry and backup Beretta , and between both its been 3000 rounds without a failure to fire or light strikes.

Back to topic , I just tore down my backup gun today after I experienced my first failure to extract with the piece. Heres what I found under the extractor .The black square near the hole is solidified carbon ,not just a surface layer.The physical dimension of the part was altered so drastically that its a testament to the 92s reliability that it only failed twice in 500 rounds . You should have a Q tip and a dental pick handy before doing this.

The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    That's, ummmm......really NASTY! Get that cleaned up and I bet your Beretta runs like a top.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post

Thanks for these photos. This is exactly what I would check for before ordering parts.

Beretta recommends cleaning the extractor every 1000 rounds. That's what I was told in 2000 when I attended their armorers class.

I've added an annual extractor removal and channel cleaning to my 92 maintenance protocol. It's easy to do-and it's amazing the amount of GSR that can accumulate and calcify-and yet the gun continues to run (at least in my case).

Remember to re-stake the extractor pin after re-installing; if it's a tight enough fit, re-staking may be unnecessary, but I recommend doing it anyway.

Best, Jon

Is there a way to use solvent to clean behind the extractor without removing the part?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Is there a way to use solvent to clean behind the extractor without removing the part?
    No.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

You could try blasting it with Gunscrubber.

User Tag List