Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry Piece

Huck - I feel your pain, brother, and felt it particularly strongly two weeks ago when I had to make the daily treck into Manhattan for a trial in the Southern District of NY. Wearing a suit and tie every day, in 80+ degrees and 80+% humidity and dealing with the subway system, where you're butt to butt with 10,000 folks you don't know and would FREAK OUT if they see/feel your pistol, gives new appreciation for truly concealable pistols.

I ended up handicapping myself to just carrying my PM9 in an ankle rig, as I wasn't about to wear my jacket during the transit, and I don't have a "tuckable" holster that works well for me with my G19. I also found the hard way that my suit pants pockets are NOT heavy enough to do much to make a PM9 or 642 in my pocket look like anything except a gun. Ankle carry sucks (especially for access when jammed into a crowded subway car), but it's what worked for me for those days.

I've had a number of PM9s, never had an issue, but I've thought about trading it in for a Shield just to get a trigger that more closely matches that of my primary G19. I don't think you'll go far wrong with either choice, and, in a good "tuckable" holster, they should disappear.

Regards,

Kevin

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HuckJackson View Post
    Hey, I'm new to the forum, so I hope this is the right place to ask for help, but I was hoping all yall could help me track down a good carry piece. I currently own a Springfield XD40 5" Tactical, which I love, but is worthless to try to conceal.

I like the idea of the Ruger LC9, but I have heard negative things about its durability. I loved how well the Walther PPK fit my hand, but then I looked it up and it had fail to exit complaints...not something I want in a carry piece. Also, I just feel like a .380 lacks the knock down power I would feel comfortable with for personal protection.

I know that the feel and fit of a pistol is different for everyone and I will have to go shoot and hold some guns to find the one that works best for me, but I am looking for a jumping off point and some info from some normal ass people who carry and know what they're talking about.

Thanks!
    Given the options today, I see no reason to carry a mouse gun. Since you like your XD, the single stack XDS is worth a look. The S&W shield, Kahr series and Glock 26 are all options as well. Appendix carry is very popular here but it's not for everyone, including myself. I've previously carried Kahr's off duty. I would recommend 9mm over 40 in a smaller gun like the Kahr or the shield. I'm currently carying a Glock 26 in a Milt Sparks Inside the waistband holster (VMII) off duty.

It's much easier to recommend a gun than holster. It's more dependant on your body type and manner of dress as well as personal preference, kind of like shoes. Don't go cheap on your belt and holster and understand you may need to try a few holsters before you find one that's right for you.

Banned
    Howdy,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    If you decide not to carry a full size gun, I'd suggest you take a look at the Kahr P9 and S&W 9mm Shield.

For some of us, AIWB is what makes carrying larger guns feasable, but I'm not going to push AIWB on a new shooter. The Shield didn't exist when I was in the market for a single stack, but I've had excellent service from both of my 9mm Kahrs.
    I carry OWB @ 3:00 and just out of curiosity, how can you carry a full size gun AIWB? How can you sit down with a 1911 or Glock 34/35 inside your pants @ 1:30 - 2:00 unless you wear your pants like Steve Urkel?

Just curious.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy,

I carry OWB @ 3:00 and just out of curiosity, how can you carry a full size gun AIWB? How can you sit down with a 1911 or Glock 34/35 inside your pants @ 1:30 - 2:00 unless you wear your pants like Steve Urkel?

Just curious.

Paul
    It all starts with a quality holster designed for AIWB carry. Trust me, it works. It works with certain guns better, but a 1911, G17 size gun is no problem.

Site Supporter
    Glock 34/35 inside your pants @ 1:30 - 2:00 unless you wear your pants like Steve Urkel?
    I wear it at 12:30 and I use a high ride loop, which helps you get a better grip, IMO.

Just to summarize for the OP here:

The first recommendation is - High quality holster(s) and a high quality belt. Do this before you acquire a new gun. It's more fun to shop for guns than holsters, but you need a quality platform to carry.

Please let us know what holsters you have tried, what your belt situation is, and what the body type is. It's the only way to get really good recommendations, from folks of a similar build with similar guns.

Second recommendation - Know that you will have to change your attire at least to some degree to effectively conceal a handgun. Tight jeans and tight t-shirts generally do not work. Doesn't mean you have to look like a hobo, but just keep this in mind. If you have wardrobe constraints that dictate what you must wear, then creative holsters and smaller guns are more appropriate. You have to bear those in mind as well.

I'm a short, wide, guy, who is working on being less wide. I can hide a full size handgun in an appendix or hip holster under an untucked t-shirt. But I still prefer a slightly smaller handgun, both for comfort and increased concealment. Almost the entire factor in that situation is the belt, holster, and holster position.

-Rob

I've carried at about the 3:30 - 4:00 position for about 29 years. I haven't gotten up the interest to try AWIB carry yet. with my build and style of dress when off-duty, I can't see that it would be as comfortable or concealable as what I have done for years. I just can't see the gun not protruding in the front like a colostomy bag, or poking my privates when sitting.

But with the right holster (JM Custom kydex currently) and a good belt, a Glock 19 is a realistic option.

Body size and shape plays a huge factor also. I'm about 5'11" and 190 lbs.

My buddy has a Ruger LC9. He takes it to the range occasionally just to have the chance to put about a dozen or so rounds down range with it. This way he keeps it in good working order and doesn't over shoot it for no particular reason. This is his late night, run to a convenience store EDC.

With a good holster it is very easy. I wear my pants low per how I always have and carry a m&p fs everyday at a physically demanding job wearing t-shirts and sports polos comfortably. With a subpar holster I have found small guns hard and uncomfortable to conceal aiwb, with good holsters I can conceal full size m&p easily.
    The longer the barrel the higher I wear the gun which helps with a better grip and doesn't allow the gun to start flopping over your beltline and printing.
    Howdy,

Just curious.

Paul

Walther PPS 9mm in the summer, Glock 19 or M&P FS in the winter.

User Tag List