Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: What Go-To Gun/Guns do you keep close when you sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    A 16" expandable ain't even an actual impact weapon.
    Agreed. When we do annual refresher training, I advise my guys to think of our batons like a large roll of quarters. Closed mode punches and "stabs" with the butt end are about all you can hope to get out of the Harry Potter wand.

Of course, our policy is so ambiguous that I doubt anyone ever carries a baton except on planned operations where Bosses check that we have all of our "tactical" gear...

I previously used a large gunvault mounted, upside down, to a custom built bed frame. It worked quite well for storing a handgun or two and the occasional bit of my wife's jewelry. I also had one of the car based, cabled to the seat Gunvaults, in the medium sized, it would hold a 4" GP100 and a speed loader without a problem. I always liked it as a potential stash point and also that it could easily be removed from the car and carried inside when traveling (say to a hotel or something). I still prefer my handgun on my hip, whenever possible.

A large Foster-made 12-ounce blackjack hangs on the doorknob of the coat closet by the front door here. Given the tight confines of the entryway in my home (about 6 square feet total), it's honestly NOT a shooting affair if someone kicks the door in, while I am going to open it, it is a nearly instantaneous FUT event. In that case I'd prefer to have a better tool in hand for that than a .357. I also have a "sharp enough to cut you by looking at it" Moro barong hanging out by the bed, it's 10 linear feet to the only entry point in my house, so again it can rapidly degenerate into "not a shooting affair".

In the case of impact device remember to evaluate the space inside the areas you might deploying impact weapons. A baseball bat might work fine in your bedroom, but not your entryway or hallway. I could have a bigger/heavier weapon like a Tomahawk or larger machete over the 10" Barong, but the tight areas of my home, mean a balance of stabbing and cutting for a blade or a short impact weapon like a blackjack or sap actually makes more sense than a baton or bat.

-Rob

10 For I = 1 to 365
    20 Carry sp101 .357 iwb @ 4 o'clock, set it on the nightstand at bed time
    30 Next I
    40 Goto 10

Quote Originally Posted by Fon1961 View Post
    10 For I = 1 to 365
    20 Carry sp101 .357 iwb @ 4 o'clock, set it on the nightstand at bed time
    30 Next I
    40 Goto 10
    That is a very Basic (but solid) plan.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by hks95134 View Post
    Well fortunately I don't have any kids running around the house.

And at my age all the women look hammered too, so those are rare too.

For everything else, under the pillow is perfect.
    If I wasn't going to use a quick access bedside safe, if go with something like this: http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Ho...p/Default.aspx

It would go in between the mattress and box spring at the head of the bed. It keeps the pistol safe, oriented, invisible, and out of reach of an attacker. The old "under the pillow" seems a bit irresponsible unless you have a single action revolver or don't keep a round chambered. Just my .02.

Sent from my iPhone, I apologize in advance for typos.

"Gustatus similis pullus"

Don't own a HD shotgun but all my guns are close. I'd grab my Colt 1911 loaded with Gold Dots

I'm late to the party but...G23 with spare mags, x300 ultra in biometric safe. I don't keep any loaded guns out of the safe with a 10 and 9 yr old running around the house, but they are not all under lock and key either. I usually keep my G19 on my person all day and download it at night and keep it on a shelf in my office.

Glock 19, Speer Gold Dot 124 gr HPs, Polytac flashlight. Same as my everyday carry, just gets transferred to a bedside drawer at night.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    I had that sight combo on my P30, and it printed 6" low at 25yds using the top edge and firing Win Nato.. How does it work on the 17L?
    Better late than never right? Finally got to the range. 20 rounds, unsupported at 25. This was with a 6 o'clock hold and 115gr ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Gen 3 Glock 19 with TLR-1, condition 1 in a kydex holster. 15 rounds of 124 gr +P Speer Gold dots, a 17rd spare mag of the same + handheld light next to it. My fall/winter EDC gun and holster.

Sometimes I'll leave my S&W 442 with CT laser grips next to it too, usually when that's what I've been carrying all day (i.e. summertime). No specific reason beyond that I've been wearing it all day, so why not.

My safe is usually open (in bedroom closet) and it has a condition 3 12ga 870 hanging out in there but I don't have much instruction in using one so it's not a gun I plan on relying on.
    Give me that 870.I know what to do with it.

User Tag List