Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What Go-To Gun/Guns do you keep close when you sleep?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Gen 3 Glock 19 with TLR-1, condition 1 in a kydex holster. 15 rounds of 124 gr +P Speer Gold dots, a 17rd spare mag of the same + handheld light next to it. My fall/winter EDC gun and holster.

Sometimes I'll leave my S&W 442 with CT laser grips next to it too, usually when that's what I've been carrying all day (i.e. summertime). No specific reason beyond that I've been wearing it all day, so why not.

My safe is usually open (in bedroom closet) and it has a condition 3 12ga 870 hanging out in there but I don't have much instruction in using one so it's not a gun I plan on relying on.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 03-25-2015 at 11:00 AM.

Oh, call me crazy, but I also keep a pair of handcuffs.

I probably wouldn't, but my buddy had a guy break-in and he was ready with his P226(?) but he said he basically pointed the gun at him until the cops arrived.

What Go-To Gun/Guns do you keep close when you sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post

I probably wouldn't, but my buddy had a guy break-in and he was ready with his P226(?) but he said he basically pointed the gun at him until the cops arrived.
    No idea if you're in LE/security or not, but I'd recommend some training on felony arrest techniques if that's your plan.

Personally, if someone breaks into my place they either get shot and carried out or flee and become the on-duty guys' problem. Prone handcuffing a likely high or altered mental status subject, in the dark and without backup when I'm not wearing a vest and belt full of toys gives me the chills. It's been done but only as a last resort.

When we are alone, catch someone and prone them out at gunpoint, there is a very specific protocol to follow when it come to securing the suspect.

Check out Force Science's study on reaction times pertaining to a proned-out suspect accessing, drawing and firing a pistol.
    Last edited by S Jenks; 03-31-2015 at 04:35 PM.

Well, after months of no gun - my new safe is occupied with a GP100 with Gold Dots and a 642 with Remington +P LHPs. And that makes me sleep better at night now.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post

Handcuffing without back-up is one of the single most dangerous things you can possibly do. I'm not for it, and I've got a metric shitton of time as a street cop, DT instructor, and doing MMA
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Handcuffing without back-up is one of the single most dangerous things you can possibly do. I'm not for it, and I've got a metric shitton of time as a street cop, DT instructor, and doing MMA
    Completely agree. And the fight tends to start once you get the 1st cuff on.

Ok, I'm just a regular dude (I do go to the range a LOT and study. Read several pieces of literature and watched several DVDs recommended on this forum). But I wouldn't presume to try and pin a guy down that's on god knows what, with god knows what motives/possible weapons/etc. Even with my 2 years of on and off MMA training myself, it's really rather irrelevant in this particular situation, with no back up and at least one gun in the mix.

BUT what if you kind of tossed the handcuffs to him, told him to cuff himself or to something sturdy? Maybe the perp complies, maybe not, maybe I don't have time to grab them. I guess I just got them "in case."

Never experienced a break-in, I don't see myself shooting someone unless there seems an imminent threat to me or anyone in my home. I'd really rather live my entire life without killing anyone if possible.

Or perhaps just do what my friend did, keep a good distance if there's no back up (his pregnant wife was in the other room) handcuffs or not. He's a regular dude too, but I think he handled it the best he could. Was wild listening to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    Check out Force Science's study on reaction times pertaining to a proned-out suspect accessing, drawing and firing a pistol.
    oh, and this seems a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Completely agree. And the fight tends to start once you get the 1st cuff on.
    Listen to these guys. Almost every struggle and resulting use of force I have been involved in during my career started with the first cuff going, "click".

Anyone that you put at gunpoint should involve a contact person and a cover person involved in placing the suspect in custody, at a minimum.

Tossing a person a set of cuffs, you just gave them an impact weapon.

I would strongly suggest holding a suspect at gunpoint and waiting for LE to arrive. I also would recommend having a phone close at hand. Keep dispatch on the line while you have the suspect at gunpoint. Even if you have to set the phone down next to you.

Years ago, I had a book by Chuck Taylor called Combat Handguns or something. Anyways he described a nice proceedure for holding someone at gun point while waiting for backup.

The general presumption is they start standing. Have the perp interlace their fingers and place their hands palm down on top of their head. Have them get on their knees, then cross their ankles, then sit on their crossed feet. These minimizes their movement speed and response speed and keeps hands up high, and keeps you away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    Listen to these guys. Almost every struggle and resulting use of force I have been involved in during my career started with the first cuff going, "click".

Anyone that you put at gunpoint should involve a contact person and a cover person involved in placing the suspect in custody, at a minimum.

Tossing a person a set of cuffs, you just gave them an impact weapon.

I would strongly suggest holding a suspect at gunpoint and waiting for LE to arrive. I also would recommend having a phone close at hand. Keep dispatch on the line while you have the suspect at gunpoint. Even if you have to set the phone down next to you.
    An impact weapon. You guys think so much differently, and for good reason due to your experience. Always a learning experience. Great tips.

User Tag List