Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Do You Get A Gun In Canada?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Some worthwhile reading:

Reprinted from Journal of Criminal Justice , Vol 24, No 5, pp 393-406, Copyright (1996), with
    permission from Elsevier Science
    Armed self defense: the Canadian case*
    by
    Gary A. Mauser, Ph D
    Institute of Canadian Urban Research Studies and
    Faculty of Business Administration
    Simon Fraser University
    Burnaby, B.C. CANADA

http://www.sfu.ca/~mauser/papers/sel...JFP-8-3-99.pdf
    Lots of good stuff in here! Thanks for the link.

The data in it is a little dated, how much do you think things have changed? Has gun ownership gone up or down in your estimations?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Black rifles and handgun sales in Canada have definitely taken off; gun ownership in general may not have changed much but the average age is probably getting lower and the number of guns per owner is definitely increasing.

In short I'd say the same thing is happening in Canada that I believe is happening in the US, just on a smaller scale. Whereas at one time it was mostly older guys in rural areas with wood-and-steel sporting guns, it's slowly concentrating, urbanizing, and tacticloling.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I think total gun owning people in Canada may be climbing, slowly. We are seeing hunters dropping out of the sport, and tons of new owners jumping in. At our club, the 800 member increase we've seen in the last 3 years (from 289 members at the start of our reno that added 3 new outdoor ranges and reno'd the indoor as well) has been about 70% new gun owners if the info we get is correct (we ask them when they get a membership). We are sitting at 1100 members now and have 500 on the wait list. But 1100 is our cap, unless we vote to increase it by 100 in July. We are also adding about 100-150 a month to the list.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

User Tag List