Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going fast and getting a good solid grip on the gun?

Site Supporter
    Lots n lots of good info on this thread here.

Banned
    Howdy,

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    My issue is with getting a master grip while the gun still in the holster. I carry AIWB and I find it very hard to get my thumb down between my body and my gun to get a good grip. Usually I am adjusting my grip throughout my draw to establish the master grip. I do not have this issue when using an OWB holster since the gun is not pressed tightly against my body. I know I need to practice my draw more to get that thumb jammed in there to the point where my master grip is achievable with my gun in the holster. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
    I carry OWB and the above post is just another reason why I do NOT care for IWB carry.

To the OP: all you need I'd a firm grip on the pistol, you're not trying to choke it to death or crush it. If you tighten your grip while you are pulling the trigger, it's called "milking", this will throw your shot off.

With my Glock 23 using a CE Pocket Pro timer, drawing from under a cover garment I usually average about 1.16 seconds from "beep" to first shot fired and I'm slow. If you are in the 1.4 second range you need to practice a lot.

You also need to work on your grip strength. A broom handle with a 1/4" piece of rope and a dumbbell plate is all you need. Hold the set up at shoulder height and roll the rope around the handle up and down.
    Paul

1.16 from concealment OWB isn't slow.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    You also need to work on your grip strength. A broom handle with a 1/4" piece of rope and a dumbbell plate is all you need. Hold the set up at shoulder height and roll the rope around the handle up and down. Paul
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2778361
    http://www.gripboard.com/
    http://www.gripfaq.com/Hand_Grippers
    http://www.dieselcrew.com/tag/block-weights

Cordially,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    1.16 from concealment OWB isn't slow.
    Quoted for truth. That's an almost impossible standard if you are drawing on any kind of low % target.

Thanks for all the information everyone contributed to this thread. I have lots to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Fast table or shelf gun pickups are challenging when you have targets to engage very quickly.
    You don't have a holster to push against.
    Any suggestions or you tubes for ultra fast table pickups?
    Cody
    My gun is pretty flat lying on a table. The suggestion that has been most helpful to me is to use both hands to pick up the gun and get it into a good freestyle grip, rather than picking it up SHO and adding the support hand to the grip.

I wouldn't say this is something I am very good at, but I feel like that tip helped me.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    My gun is pretty flat lying on a table. The suggestion that has been most helpful to me is to use both hands to pick up the gun and get it into a good freestyle grip, rather than picking it up SHO and adding the support hand to the grip.

I wouldn't say this is something I am very good at, but I feel like that tip helped me.
    Thanks. I have been picking it up SHO, so I will try the two handed approach.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Funny thing, most of the times that I have had a tabled gun in competition, I have had to shoot SHO/WHO.
    I can only think of one or two times that freestyle was allowed.
    I think that has significantly effected my pick-up habit.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Funny thing, most of the times that I have had a tabled gun in competition, I have had to shoot SHO/WHO.
    I can only think of one or two times that freestyle was allowed.
    I think that has significantly effected my pick-up habit.
    Seems random then. I think all the table starts I've had were freestyle.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Seems random then. I think all the table starts I've had were freestyle.
    I like your matches better.

I've just gotten back into USPSA, had about a year and a half hiatus due to work.
    Haven't had a single table start over the three matches since.

I'm sort of hoping that the upcoming match has a tabled gun start now, hah.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

User Tag List