Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pat McNamara TAPS Pistol, 6/30 & 7/1 in Castro Valley, CA

A couple of follow-up items. On the last day of the TAPS class, I dropped out of the walk-back drill earlier than I expected, missing a relatively easy plate shot at 35 yds. I figured I was just tired and flubbed the effort. When I recently went shooting, I discovered that one of the two RMR retaining screws was missing from the M&P45 training pistol I used at the TAPS class, allowing the RDS to wobble just a bit…and yes, the screws were initially installed with blue Loc-Tite. The slide milling by Mark Housel was done nicely enough to provide a reasonably tight fit for the RMR, so even with one screw missing I was still able to make close range hits; it was only at longer distances that the subtle looseness of the sight became critical enough to induce misses. Lesson learned—periodically check the RDS screws, especially after each day shooting in a higher round count class.

With the M&P45-RMR down awaiting the arrival of a new screw, I instead shot a G19-RMR for this recent training session. I ran the same pattern of drills used during the TAPS class, including shooting the 500 point aggregate at 25 yards. I was also curious to see if there was any advantage to using a G17 equipped with an RMR, compared to a G19. Obviously, with iron sights a longer sight radius can be an advantage when shooting at smaller, more distant targets, however this should not matter with RMR equipped pistols. With the G19-RMR I shot a 461 on the 500 point aggregate, the G17-RMR resulted in a 465--basically the same. If the shooter does their job, a G19, G17, and M&P45 all offer acceptable accuracy for duty/CCW use.

In another turn of events, I let my son shoot the M&P9 that seemed to be problematic during the TAPS course. Over the course of 300 rounds of Federal 147 gr FMJ and Winchester M882 ball, no malfunctions of any kind occurred…

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    A couple of follow-up items. On the last day of the TAPS class, I dropped out of the walk-back drill earlier than I expected, missing a relatively easy plate shot at 35 yds. I figured I was just tired and flubbed the effort. When I recently went shooting, I discovered that one of the two RMR retaining screws was missing from the M&P45 training pistol I used at the TAPS class, allowing the RDS to wobble just a bit…and yes, the screws were initially installed with blue Loc-Tite. The slide milling by Mark Housel was done nicely enough to provide a reasonably tight fit for the RMR, so even with one screw missing I was still able to make close range hits; it was only at longer distances that the subtle looseness of the sight became critical enough to induce misses. Lesson learned—periodically check the RDS screws, especially after each day shooting in a higher round count class.[/i]
    Good tip thanks. I just checked mine they were fine, but I will be sure to check them more often. I have never taken a class from Pat but I do have his book, which is very informative.

User Tag List