Thread: Question about the Beretta 92SB

Question about the Beretta 92SB

Hi guys, this is my first post here. I saw that there seemed to be a lot of interest in the Beretta 92 pistols on this forum, so I thought I would sign up to ask a question. I bought a used Beretta a number of years ago that I was told was a salesman's sample. It definitely had handling marks, but looked unfired. The deep blue finish was nice on it too. The box said it was a Beretta 92SB, and from what I can tell from the searching the internet this seems to be the case. So here's my question: I've read on the internet that the SB model was the one submitted for the Joint Service Small Arms Program testing. I've also read that the Beretta pistols submitted for that program had problems with something breaking, possibly making it dangerous to shoot. In the time I've had the pistol, I've shot it a bit and had no problems, but I am thinking of starting to do some high volume shooting. Should I find a different gun?

Site Supporter
    The old story is that the slide would break, and subsequently fly into the shooter's face. I think the hammer pin is enlarged in the FS models, but the SB still runs that risk if you put lots of +P+ ammo through your gun without ever changing the recoil spring or noticing any cracking of the slide.

In short...just perform regular preventative maintenance. If you do high volume shooting, I'd recommend taking it apart every thousand rounds or so and taking a look at the locking block and the slide to be sure there aren't any cracks.

I'm really starting to like my Beretta, so have fun!

The SB is my favorite version of the 92. Love the round trigger guard.

It was the third version of the full size 92. Very high quality Italian production.

User Tag List