Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW permit renewal

The qualifications in NC are a joke. Probably 80% of the people I took my class with had no idea how to load their own guns, let alone fire them. CCW qualifications are akin to the "No child left behind" policy. They have to conform to the lowest common denominator. What is unfortunate is that people assume that because they have a CCW, they are automatically able to defend themselves (or others) if/when the time comes. I've had the fortune to attend several training classes, and now strive to attend 2-3 per year, in addition to regular practice and local USPSA matches (like them or not, they ingrain good gun handling skills). I like to think I will be prepared if/when the time comes, but I don't allow myself to become complacent. Truth is most "gun people" just don't care. I've tried to get friends to take classes or even attend $15 USPSA matches with me. I have yet to have anyone take me up on that offer.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    What is unfortunate is that people assume that because they have a CCW, they are automatically able to defend themselves (or others) if/when the time comes.
    Statistically speaking, they likely do.

{problems that need a reasonable degree of firearm proficiency to solve} < {problems that need a firearm to solve} < {problems}

If I were straight-up playing the odds, I'd leave the gun at home.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post

{problems that need a reasonable degree of firearm proficiency to solve} < {problems that need a firearm to solve} < {problems}

Stop it. Your logical assessment of statistics and probability is harshing my Sheepdog buzz.

We don't have qualification courses here. No training requirement, either.

Don't have renewals, either, come to think of it.

Surprisingly little blood in the streets, though. Funny, that.
    Yeah, funny, Washington Sate has been "shall issue" for over 50 years now, you pays your money, you passes the background check, and you gets your permit.
    You don't even have to live here, just come here to apply.
    Alas, we DO have to renew, but it works the same way.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Yep.

Doesn't sell training classes or tritium sights, but it seems to be true.

As has been stated by others, I would bet the majority of defensive gun uses are with guns most gun forum dwellers would be embarrassed to own.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by dookie1481 View Post
    Yep.

Doesn't sell training classes or tritium sights, but it seems to be true.

As has been stated by others, I would bet the majority of defensive gun uses are with guns most gun forum dwellers would be embarrassed to own.
    I have had DGUs where I was armed with a break-top H&R 12 gauge, and a model 999 Sportsman in .22lr, one each.

Although the 999 has gained a certain coolness factor over the years, so maybe the embarrassment would be held to a minimum.

Although learning has since occurred and I am typically armed off-duty with a Glock 19 and a S&W 642

Ironic how we all get in our cars almost daily and drive to work cognizant that millions of idiots, licensed or not, drive cars and could conceivably kill us on the commute . Yet with firearms it's suddenly a major problem to let untrained fools use guns.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Ironic how we all get in our cars almost daily and drive to work cognizant that millions of idiots, licensed or not, drive cars and could conceivably kill us on the commute . Yet with firearms it's suddenly a major problem to let untrained fools use guns.
    Indeed. I often snark at the "we should license/tag guns like cars" comment with "so you're okay with a teenagerl who's possibly using a phone, eating fries, and fiddling with music line up parallel a few feet offset from you and shoot past your head in public? Cool. Let's do that, then."
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I don't need any license at all to buy any car I want. There's even a private road nearby where I could take an unregistered, unplated, single-seater car with no bumpers, airbags, or even headlights and drive it in circles at 200mph and the government can't say boo about it.

Sure, I have to take a rudimentary test to take the car out on public roads, but I can take it on any public road I want. My Hoosier driver's license will let me drive all over Manhattan or down Mulholland Drive.

I reckon I'd be comfortable with treating guns like cars, but your average anti gunner wouldn't.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    I reckon I'd be comfortable with treating guns like cars, but your average anti gunner wouldn't.
    Volokh had a good article on his blog a couple of years ago that explained that "treat guns like cars" is exactly what pro-gunners have been working towards for the last 20-30 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

User Tag List