Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: -Need your perspective --New Style Concealed Carry Holster

I'd love to see a video of this. I'm also curious what the perceived benefits of this are over a shoulder holster for this type of carry.
    Sheep Have Wool

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    My main concern would be that, in my experience, putting a couple of pounds of anything in a jacket pocket makes the jacket hang funny and creep off to one side.

And even a really well - designed holster won't change the effect of the weight in the pocket.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

-Need your perspective --New Style Concealed Carry Holster

When drawing from a shoulder holster, there is a minor moment of safety violation as the gun flags your arm. This can be mitigated by training to draw by rotating up into a Sul position. Unfortunately, the design of this coat product produces a draw from a non-anchored holster (the coat is moving), where the awkward draw from the non-anchored coat could produce a safety violation where the gun might be drawn to point at the heart. (The majority of firearm accidents happen while drawing or holsterinv a firearm. This is dangerous as the gun might be drawn from a compromised grip- as I explain later- and might point at the heart) If the holster were anchored in the same location to the body, this would likely not occur.

Secondly, while I understand that there are millions of ways to carry, and that people are constantly inventing new ones, I simultaneously applaud new innovation while scoffing at the technique. This is a product that may demonstrate a high degree of innovation, but that is certainly coupled with a low degree of understanding the defensive carrying of a firearm. Shoulder holsters are a niche product that should be relegated to people like a commercial truck driver, not an additional option for people who watched too much Miami Vice. Crossdraw options force the initial draw stroke into a place where a bad guy can reach out and stop you by pressing your arm against your body.

It is a new holster design that is innovative, but should really only be sold to a very niche market like commercial truck drivers, but they're not going to wear a coat most of the day. If I had a job where I had to wear a coat all day, I'd probably zip the coat up. It is still much faster to rip the coat up with one hand, while another hand accesses the gun on the belt line (especially AIWB), rather than trying to find the zipper under stress and ripping that down and then sticking my hand in the coat to access the gun.

Also, consider that the strong hand on a shoulder holster (while I still would rarely advocate one) can get a full grip on the gun before the drawstroke has begun. The placement of this product forces you to draw from a compromised grip, as you cannot get your forefinger around the gun before drawing. As you must rotate your forefinger out of the way, the other support fingers draw from a position that is rotated away from their normal grip. This results in less surface area purchase on the grip of the firearm.

Frankly, just because someone has a lot of military, law enforcement or competitive experience doesn't mean that they know dilly-bear about the employment, carriage or defensive usage of a firearm, and that seems to be the case here. That being said, I'm sure Blackhawk or 5.11 would love to sell the crap out of this product.
    Last edited by Josh Runkle; 06-18-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joshrunkle35 View Post
    Frankly, just because someone has a lot of military, law enforcement or competitive experience doesn't mean that they know dilly-bear about the employment, carriage or defensive usage of a firearm, and that seems to be the case here. That being said, I'm sure Blackhawk or 5.11 would love to sell the crap out of this product.
    This needs saved and repeated for about 75% of new products coming out.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    The product site starts off with the following premise:
    This holster is unique, unlike any other holster on the market today. Typically, you would have to buy a special coat having a specific pocket in it to hold the gun. That left you with one coat... one color.
    And right away I'm lost. Specialized carry coats are a pretty small segment of the industry. I don't see anything "typical" about the described issue. With that said, our economy is fueled by exaggerating a problem, then offering a solution for sale, so that might not be as much of a barrier as I think.

The biggest functional issue I see with this holster has been mentioned by others: weight distribution. Your website shows 11 demonstration photos of garments on the floor. In the only two photos of someone actually wearing the holster, a hand is being used to hold up the coat. We don't see any photos of how it would actually hang during carry.

Speaking of the photos, they don't give a favorable impression of the holster's workmanship. If I received that holster in the mail, there are a lot of corners I'd want to sand down, particularly at the bottom. While I seriously doubt they would cause any functional problems, the screws hanging off the kydex edges would also bother me. Product shots should really put the best foot forward.

But back to functional issues, this holster seems to hold a lot of drawbacks from other carry methods, without their benefits: the weight issues of pocket carry, presentation issues of shoulder carry, unpredictable indexing of off-body carry, and (I can only assume) added difficulty reholstering with one hand.

I agree that a video would do the most to sell this product, and I would also strongly encourage that you photograph more of your holsters (especially with different guns). With only one holster pictured throughout the whole site, it gives the impression that only one has ever been made.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

I also just noticed this on the site:
    These magnets like your handguns are not toys and should be kept away from children. Never allow neodymium magnets near a person with a pacemaker or similar medical device.
    Do you honestly expect your customers to constantly ask about medical devices before they ever get "near" someone again? Given that these magnets will be worn on the torso, they will inevitably be pressed against people from time to time.

"Great to see you, uncle Jack! It's been years. WOAH WOAH!! STOP!!!! DON'T HUG ME!!!!"
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I also just noticed this on the site:

Do you honestly expect your customers to constantly ask about medical devices before they ever get "near" someone again? Given that these magnets will be worn on the torso, they will inevitably be pressed against people from time to time.

"Great to see you, uncle Jack! It's been years. WOAH WOAH!! STOP!!!! DON'T HUG ME!!!!"
    I expect that is also some marketing bluster.

Yes, a low (10 gauss) field strength is the accepted "standard" for causing trouble with pacemakers and implanted defibrillators. However, when we're talking about relatively small permanent magnets (as opposed to electromagnets used in MRI, for example) field strength drops off quickly with distance.

An N42 NdFeB magnet 0.5" diameter x 0.25" thickness has a surface field of about 4,600gauss. At a distance of 2 inches, the field strangth is only 11gauss, measured through open space. Put some flesh and bone (and clothing) in between and measured field strength will be negligible. Even with a stronger N52 magnet, a surface field of ~5,200gauss drops to 12gauss at 2 inches (same dimension magnet), again through open space.

If I had a pacemaker I'd be cautious, but not terrified.

Good summary here: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=pacemaker-safety

***disclaimer: I am NOT a doctor.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I expect that is also some marketing bluster.
    I reckon you're right, and I appreciate the additional information. I assumed right away that the warning was a CYA move, but I'm annoyed by product warnings that are impossible to actually follow in normal use of said product. It's like when Versacarry tells you not to carry a loaded gun in their holster.

"We know people are going to do exactly X, but so long as we tell them NOT to do X, it's not our problem!"

Maybe even a short video going into how magnets work?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Unfortunately, nobody knows how magnets work.

User Tag List