Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Open Carry Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I find IWB holsters more comfortable even when not wearing a gun burkha simply because they just don't get in the way as much. I remember one time wearing a G-Code paddle and sitting down in a narrow lawn chair, the muzzle end of the holster hit the arm of the chair and drove the beavertail of my 1911 into my ribs hard enough to leave a spectacular bruise.
    Hate that. It's worse when I stand up and the lawn chair is hanging off of my pistol.

Okie John

I'm glad you're giving it a try in the face of a minority of 'tards out there badly making it a moronic loud and proud thing.

I don't do it often most of the year, but sometimes the WI summers get to Vietnam levels of humidity/heat and I find it unbearable to wear clothing to conceal my only (full size) handgun. I OC with retention in a non-beat-to-shit Raven, I don't dress like a slob, and I find the same thing you recently did: as a representative of all gun owners to fence sitters, you'll find yourself acting extremely polite. I don't have an issue with that as I like to be seen as polite regardless and it keeps me on my toes. As stated you need to watch how you position yourself as well, although considering I'm sure I print plenty that's not necessarily a bad habit to have regardless. Look clean cut and unremarkable and a whole lot of delicious nothing will happen.

One thought: you're never supposed to leave condition yellow until you're home, everything is locked up tighter than Fort Knox, the dogs are alert, and you're sleeping. It's not supposed to be exhausting, orange and red are the ones you're not supposed to be able to hold for long. Yellow has always been defined to me as "you simply accept that shit may or may not go down today, and you're smart about what you're doing in public" where orange is sizing up specific individuals/groups (THAT PERSON may cause shit to go down today soon) and red is obviously some sort of end game defensive action.

As long as you don't draw your pistol at a low ready and pose for pictures wearing flip flops like those dumbasses in some McDonald's somewhere, people will hardly notice. With a polo, HK45, and 2 spare mags (I basically EDC my IDPA rig) even if people do notice the first thing they're going to think is "meh, some cop"

Watch the hand resting on the pistol thing though, I've caught myself doing it as well and that's a gigantic big fat no-no. Same with grabbing a grip/holster/whatever to hike up your pants.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I find IWB holsters more comfortable even when not wearing a gun burkha simply because they just don't get in the way as much. I remember one time wearing a G-Code paddle and sitting down in a narrow lawn chair, the muzzle end of the holster hit the arm of the chair and drove the beavertail of my 1911 into my ribs hard enough to leave a spectacular bruise.

In the winter when I am hunting I tend to still carry my G-lock IWB, because I don't get dirt or snow into the muzzle when I sit, which I often do while still hunting. Between the pants and the cover garment my gun is nicely protected from the weather and such.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    It's no secret I'm frequently harsh and critical of people who choose to Open Carry. I'm especially critical of Open Carry as a method of activism, because my experience with OC advocates has been that they're all awful people and terrible attention whores.
    You are certainly not alone here. While I prefer concealed carry due to its advantages good on your for giving it a go and trying to set a good example. Not being a dick, dressing like an adult, and using a retention holster are simple rules every individual OC'ing should follow period end of story. I really wish these idiots that were out there protesting would just wear and empty holster. It gets the point across subtly without raising a bunch of eyebrows or pissing off business owners. Not to mention less ammunition for the other side. If activists want to go a step further they could simply add a t-shirt with some enlightening information or pro 2A jargon to the mix. There are tactful ways of conducting your business or campaigns. I wish these cats would exercise some more common sense.

One last comment and I'll descend from my soap box. If people are going to OC using a retention holster isn't that big a deal. Hell it should be freaking mandatory for OC. I did it in the military this way, and as a reservist officer. It's just the smart thing to do. You wouldn't catch me on a cold day in hell running around with a weapon in the open without any retention but thats just me.

I regularly OC. Live in Eastern NC. It's a pretty rural area and open carriers aren't that infrequent. I mostly do it in the fall during hunting seasons, but I'm not opposed to open carrying whenever. Did it the other day to go run some errands actually. Most people tend not to notice. I usually wear a black polo shirt tucked in while wearing jeans or khakis. My 1911 or Glock tends to blend in pretty well and I usually never get a second glance. From those that have noticed, most don't give it a second glance and I've gotten many compliments from strangers regarding OC. Once you get over the fact that "OMG I'M SHOWING MY GUN TO EVERYONE!" it's pretty smooth sailing. I've never had an issue or had someone complain. Then again, I don't walk around with a camera trying to bait others and law enforcement into a constitutional debate. I OC in a JM Custom OWB. No retention. I'm not worried about a gun grab because I practice good situational awareness and almost always have my elbow resting on the frame of the gun while carrying. And to the whole "element of surprise" thing while CC'ing, sometimes I prefer the concept of "deterrence." To each his own.

There's advantages and disadvantages to pretty nearly every move, choice, and action you make. OC/CC is no different. Even something as dumb as walking around with an empty holster probably has SOMETHING in the plus column and I just don't know what it is. These people commenting like they have the only sensible solution and they know better than any one in the rest of the country what an adult should wear to go about their business of the day, this should be mandatory and that is just "it", period, end of story. Get over yourselves. You don't speak for "gun owners" any more than those douche bags in flip flops with an AR necklace.

I speak and act for my self. You don't get the speakership platform of the gun lobby when you fill out the warranty card with a new gun purchase.

MSpark909, I imagine the area that you live in along with the types of crimes and criminals in your area probably has much to do with your point of view. Much like myself and everyone else, and while I won't debate that often times, "deterrence" is not a bad thing, (video surveillance being a superb example in moderation). Through my experience I tend to favor surprise, speed and violence of action. Though this is not perfect nor a way of thinking for everyone I will agree with you, "to each his own." It certainly takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Further more I've got to say that while I believe that the majority of individuals on this forum are much more savvy, practiced, experienced and sensical than the general public when it comes to carrying firearms, their related activities and training. I don't know that every Joe Blow out there has adequate understanding, training and skills. The general publics understanding of the criminal element in their area is typically dismal at best. Very few are willing to put the time and effort into understanding the criminal element, investing the time and money into adequate training, nor aware enough as to what is going on around them.

Now that is not to say that you don't, or others here/outside the forum don't know or aren't prepared for open carrying and the possible nuances/unintended consequences. I personally would like to see stop measures put in place for those who have a responsibility to the public by the actions they are taking. OC'ing is a enormous responsibility and must be treated with the extreme responsibility that it is. Hearing you and others talk here on this forum certainly gives me pause that there are individuals out there who rationally think things out. Though I would submit to you that a holster with retention is a good idea regardless. We all make mistakes and let our guards down. It can happen for just a split second and sometimes that is just enough.

I hope that I am not coming off as snark or know it all. My experience and understanding is limited. I only wish to have an open and intelligent conversation about this topic. I believe that it is a very important one that can either help our cause and gain ground or lose the fight altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post
    There's advantages and disadvantages to pretty nearly every move, choice, and action you make. OC/CC is no different. Even something as dumb as walking around with an empty holster probably has SOMETHING in the plus column and I just don't know what it is. These people commenting like they have the only sensible solution and they know better than any one in the rest of the country what an adult should wear to go about their business of the day, this should be mandatory and that is just "it", period, end of story. Get over yourselves. You don't speak for "gun owners" any more than those douche bags in flip flops with an AR necklace.

I speak and act for my self. You don't get the speakership platform of the gun lobby when you fill out the warranty card with a new gun purchase.
    Jack Ryan, correct me if I am wrong but I can't help but feel that your comments were directed towards me. So I will answer your post as such. I'll take walking around with an empty holster, over idiots in Starbucks with AR's or morons in Chipotle with SKS's every day of the week and twice on Sunday. It doesn't help our cause. It doesn't even begin to start a polite conversation. It simply causes unrest and public concern. Strike one up for the other team with idiocy. Great plan. Now for your comment on speaking for gun owners. I never said I spoke for gun owners everywhere, nor did I infer that I was the only one with a sensible solution. I was simply trying to make the point that there are other ways of going about one's business.

Don't take what I am saying out of context. As for my comment, "period end of story." It strictly had to do with not being a dick while open carrying, (which we've seen all to much of lately) and wearing a retention holster. Officers lives are saved every day by retention holsters. They wear their firearms exterior to their garments. Now granted their interactions have more to do with the criminal element but other than that what makes an OC'er much different? He is still carrying a weapon out in the open and has a duty to protect it from the wrong hands. I will stand by my comment that a holster with retention is a good idea for anyone openly carrying, regardless if you have weapons retention training or not. We are all human an make mistakes. It takes one second of you letting your guard down.

Lastly Jack, I do not need to get over myself. You know nothing of me other that what you have read and obviously misinterpreted. If you have any more sarcastic comments aimed at my character please feel free to direct them to my PM box. Especially if you are going to consistently take things I say out of context. Thank you for your comments but I would rather you have made and intelligent comment rather than a slanderous attack at my character. I simply wished to have an intelligent conversation. I see I was mistaken and will withdrawal from this thread conversation.
    Last edited by Mike C; 06-13-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post

Literally 10,000 people read the stuff I write every day. If I were to go on my blog and say "**** it, wear whatever you want, dress like a slob, act like a dick, it's fine because you're only responsible for yourself" not only would I be irresponsible and not doing my job very well, I'd be an idiot.

Science fact: if you open carry, you are de facto representing all gun owners. I don't care if you don't feel that you are. When Suzy Soccermommy sees me in Hy-Vee with a gat on, she doesn't think "oh hey look, that guy is open carrying, I bet he only speaks for himself and his own opinions." No, she thinks "hey, that guy owns a gun" and immediately lumps into this general category of "gun owners." So if I look like a fat, unkempt slob, she's going to equate gun owners with fat, unkempt slobbery. On the flip side, if I'm courteous, polite, well dressed, and general a nice boy, then she's much more likely to not even notice that I have a gun to begin with.

I OC'ed in Monroe, NC for 8 years, carrying a Keltec P40 in a OWB beltslide - never heard any remarks, and was never challenged. I would like to think my demeanor and carry rig helped accomplish that.

User Tag List