Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashlight Upgrades - My Malkoff Device Review on MSW

Cool Flashlight Upgrades - My Malkoff Device Review on MSW

I'm sure I'm not the only guy to realize his old Surefires pale in comparison to the new high output LED offerings. Here is my review of Malkoff Device drop-ins for Modern Service Weapons.

I hope you enjoy the read.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=9239

I hope he adds protection to the 300 lumen heads for the E1e.

I'm scared I put the battery in wrong and ruin the head.

So I'm waiting with fingers crossed.

He also has the heads with protection for the E2e.

I use to be a loyal surefire fan. I've asked for several years now for conversion heads for E1. and E2. So now I'm no longer a loyal fan . I might buy from tem there cheaper fury type lights but that's it.

Nice review. I really like the malkoff drop-ins. It really brings my surefire 6p and 9p back to life. If you prefer something different than Warm or Cool white, Gene Malkoff also offers Neutral tint (4000k) drop-ins. One of his dealer (not sure if I can link them here) is currently offering 5000k Nichia 219B led Malkoff drop-ins. You can google "Malkoff Devices M61 219B" and it should be the first link.

Count me as a fan of Malkoff as well. Been running his lights both in an LE and utility capacity for a few years now - very competent gear. Of late I was able to score both the Hound Dog and Wildcat. The Hound Dog is my new go-to do-all light. Running an MD3 with M61SHO drop-in on duty. Again, very solid gear. Yesterday I spoke to an employee at Malkoff Devices and brought up the issue of reverse polarity protection. It seems that Malkoff has added this feature to several, previously unprotected, lights. I strongly encourged them to note this on the website.

Malkoff's lights are a high quality alternative to Surefire and Streamlight. Outstanding build quality, warranty as good or better than SF, and (importantly) upgradeable over time as new emitters with more output/longer runtime come to market.

Will this work for any surefire? I wouldn't mind upgrading my e1b

Glad y'all enjoyed the review.

Quote Originally Posted by justintime View Post
    Not every light is upgradable. A quick google search leads me to believe you could upgrade with Malkoff.

But

You would need a head that would allow the use of a P60 style drop-in such as the VME head or Malkoff E1/Scout M300 head. The Malkoff E1/Scout assembly with 280 lumen drop-in is gonna cost $69. Malkoff's MDC (Malkoff Daily Carry) flashlight will run you $99. Better investment to buy the entire light, IMO.

Here is a review of the older generation MDC. Finish and modes have changed. Good SxS pics with the E1B. http://flashlightguide.com/2013/05/malkoff-mdc-review/

I've used a VME head with an M31 drop-in on an E1B body for a compact weapon light (in a Gear Sector mount with a Scout tailcap), works great. Looks like the E1/Scout M300 head Hizzie mentioned might be even more compact, didn't have that back when I bought mine. Keep in mind with a setup like that you'd lose the "Low" level the E1B has. If you like multiple modes, the MDC or MD2 flashlights could be a better choice, or of course the Surefire EB1.

To upgrade the shotgun light, you have to have a tweaked model which a lot of resellers will do for free. We just upgraded all of our old 870 lights and they work great.

Resurrecting an old thread. The Malkoff M61 breathed new life into my old warhorse M2 Centurion. I had the SF KL5 conversion on it previously, but the Malkoff simply kicks its butt.

I'm tickled to have the M2 throwing early 21st Century quality beam.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I'm putting together a new SF 6P lego torch with a P61 module and a Z59 clicky - looking forward to its completion!

User Tag List