Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Is the .38 Special still relevent as a carry round?

I got lucky in that my new 442 shoots dead on at 20 yards with the Wilson/Barnes ammo.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I figure that anything that can poke holes in me that weren't issued to me is relevant, especially from a distance. If nothing else it's relevant to know the capabilities of carious platforms and ammo. As to whether it's relevant for us to train with a certain platform or caliber, we constantly preach to each other that shot placement is paramount therefore, if one is capable of shooting more accurate with a model 10 .38 special then that particular fun and ammunition is extremely relevant to that person, more so than any current service caliber platform.

In regards to +P, those ratings have always been about pressure, not velocity. Velocity is a result of the increased pressures, not vice-versa.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    It's 2014 not 1970. Bullet design's come a long way baby.
    Velocity ain't all its cracked up to be anymore.
    But if you feel the need, the need for some speed... the Wilson Combat XPB+P 110gr. clock in at 1050fps from a 4".
    You get a modern bullet and velocity!
    It's like magic.
    Not sure where you're going with that friend but you totally missed the point of my post. Much is made of the higher pressure (what the +P stands for) of today's offerings. I was pointing out they are the equivalent of what was once standard 38 Special ammunition. And, what on earth would I want with a 110g 36 caliber bullet at 1050 fps?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Much is made of the higher pressure (what the +P stands for) of today's offerings. I was pointing out they are the equivalent of what was once standard 38 Special ammunition.
    I have an old S&W model 38. It is not rated for +P but when I wrote S&W they said not to worry it is safe for modern +P.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    And, what on earth would I want with a 110g 36 caliber bullet at 1050 fps?
    Because the Barnes XPB is the only .38 special JHP that reliably penetrates and expands after going through intermediate barriers?
    Last edited by JodyH; 06-29-2014 at 02:36 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

38spl is my favorite cartridge !
    90gr to 200gr bullets what's not to like?

In A.W. S&W J frames (M642) I like using the regular 38spl 148 WC because of recoil. they are around 700FPS out of a 4inch barrel.( Federal 148,Win 148.Rem 148) Even with that low of velocity it still has enough penetration.
    For speed strip and my loaders I use Bonded 130W or 135GD

If S&W would make a M10 or even a M13 with a 3inch barrel I might give up my SIG and HK and go back to my roots.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I got lucky in that my new 442 shoots dead on at 20 yards with the Wilson/Barnes ammo.
    I haven't found a J frame yet that didn't have a POA/POI that = 158gr.

I haven't tried the barnes 110gr. The bullet is all copper so its longer . so it might have the same POI as the 158gr.

( like how close the POI is between M855 and MK262. the SS109 is a longer bullet than regular lead jacket 62gr bullets because of the 10gr mild steel insert)

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    The .38 Special is relevant to me. When I'm not carrying a 1911 I carry a revolver loaded with 158gr LSWCHP+P ammunition -- which others in the thread have mentioned as well. I normally use the Remington version but I'd like to try the Buffalo Bore offering in my guns.

A full-size revolver loaded with .38+P IMO offers a good balance of power and low recoil/flash/bang.
    +1
    love doing bill drill using GP100 or a 686 using 38spl loads

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    If S&W would make a M10 or even a M13 with a 3inch barrel I might give up my SIG and HK and go back to my roots.
    They have in the past, including the stainless versions in the M64 and M65. Be advised, a lot of folks have discovered these and the 3", RB K-frames are in high demand. When you find one for sale it will probably be for a commanding price. If you come across one for what seems to be a reasonable price, grab it. Another probably won't pass you way in quite a while.

Dave

I've carried a 38 Spl as either a primary or a secondary gun for about 30 years now and have never seen any reason to think it wouldn't do what I needed it to do. A 642 or 442 in the pocket works quite well as a BG fighter, IMO. So yes, it is still relevant for me
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

User Tag List