Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Is the .38 Special still relevent as a carry round?

I believe all of us obsess about these things because they are the things we can control.

We want to believe we can influence the outcome of a violent life-and-death personal physical struggle by having the best gun, in the best caliber, using the very most potent cartridge available in that caliber.

When "the balloon goes up" (as Col. Cooper used to say), those are all good things to have, of course, but they probably mean a lot less than qualities such as personal awareness & readiness, and personal courage & skill.

I too carry Remington 158gr LSWCHP+P or Gold Dot 135gr+P JHP "short barrel" .38 Special in a 1 7/8" barrel J-frame or two from time to time, especially in the hottest "less clothing worn" summertime , and don't rue that condition as being notably less prepared than when carrying a G26, G19, G30 or Colt CCO.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    I believe all of us obsess about these things because they are the things we can control.

We want to believe we can influence the outcome of a violent life-and-death personal physical struggle by having the best gun, in the best caliber, using the very most potent cartridge available in that caliber.

When "the balloon goes up" (as Col. Cooper used to say), those are all good things to have, of course, but they probably mean a lot less than qualities such as personal awareness & readiness, and personal courage & skill.

I too carry Remington 158gr LSWCHP+P or Gold Dot 135gr+P JHP "short barrel" .38 Special in a 1 7/8" barrel J-frame or two from time to time, especially in the hottest "less clothing worn" summertime , and don't rue that condition as being notably less prepared than when carrying a G26, G19, G30 or Colt CCO.
    Wise.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    They have in the past, including the stainless versions in the M64 and M65. Be advised, a lot of folks have discovered these and the 3", RB K-frames are in high demand. When you find one for sale it will probably be for a commanding price. If you come across one for what seems to be a reasonable price, grab it. Another probably won't pass you way in quite a while.

Dave
    Like I fool I sold my collection of S&W K & L frames thinking I could always buy a new one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Like I fool I sold my collection of S&W K & L frames thinking I could always buy a new one.
    You can buy a new one, if you like the misshapen frames and the IL (idiot lock).

Just sayin',
    Dave

Due to some interesting circumstances after a motorcycle accident...the only two handguns in my home at the moment are a S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum with a 4" barrel and a S&W Model 638 in 2" variety. The snub gets whats left of my old S&W/Federal Nyclad ammo, 125 grain nylon coated lead and the 4" has some Remington 125 grain .38 Special +P for social purposes. I would be quite happy with a 3" Speed Six from Ruger as well and believe the .38 Special is very relevent for me. 9mm and .38 Special are my two favorite handgun cartridges and are quite "Relevent" for personal defense.

Site Supporter
    I'm fairly certain that if I was entirely unarmed and the balloon ascended, I'd be glad if I found a flare gun or a loaded Colt Dragoon. That said, I'd feel more comfortable with a G26 than a j frame. Then again, I would also feel more comfortable with a platoon of multi tour, combat veteran, career Marines...but some things just fit better in my waistband than others.

User Tag List