Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EDC Pickal knife preferred carry method?

I'll add that the only knives that surpass the CP in terms of grip shape & retention are made by Ian Wendt of Special Circumstances. Ian designs his grips so that once you lock onto it, there is absolutely no wiggle of the blade in the hand, can't say that for the CP or the BOB, even though they're pretty good.
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

Those are not awful, I appreciate your willingness to suffer through and snap those pictures. That was exactly what I was looking for. I see exactly what JodyH and Mr. Burch are saying about the egg shaped handle. I imagine it is quite helpful in maintaining a solid grip. I just need to find one so I have a chance to check them both out and see what works best. You are a huge help NickA with those pictures, certainly worth a 1,000 words, thanks again.

Mr. Burch thanks for the input as well. I tried to respond to your PM but you've exceeded your limit. You are a popular man. I'll try sending it again tomorrow.

SamuelBLong, I just heard about Special Circumstances off of Ballistic Radio the other day, thanks for the mention I will look at them as well. I definitely need to get my hands on a few more knives before I settle on any one thing. Are you running anything from Ian right now? If so any chance at some pictures?

Looking at the Clinch Pick can anyone verify the steel, my search came up with 12C27 steel which I read does not hold as fine of an edge like the tool grade steel the BoB uses but is less prone to rust. I feel like being less prone to rust would be a good thing since it is going to be worn up against the body and I sweat like a pig when its 108 degrees outside.

EDC Pickal knife preferred carry method?

These two are of my current special circumstances knife. I'm told the only other like it belongs to a well known trainer & mentor of mine.

I have a push dagger and a maleficus XL on order with Ian and should be done in a month or so. Ian will also being a minor regrind and reconfiguration of edge geometry on the china pick to optimize the sharpness and cutting ability.

Look closely at the finger choil and the flats of the grip on the blade side of them. That's what really isolates any of his knives in the hand vs the CP.

If you can get in on the Ballistic Radio run, that's a great way to get an awesome knife without having to place a custom order and wait. I practically live down the street from Ian, and I still have to wait just like everyone else.

Note the gap between the CP and my hand "meat". That's what allows for shifting.

How it sits on my batman belt:

Apologies on the less than stellar photos, but it's 3:28 AM here and I just got in from a long day of working at the SO and then going on a date (yes it went well..whoop whoop! Go me.)
    Last edited by SamuelBLong; 06-11-2014 at 04:39 AM.
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

My P'Kal's
    Spyderco, Clinch Pick, Maleficus, Viking.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Re-awakening this thread.

I finally got myself a Clinch Pick. I ordered a Bravo Unit from CCDefense.com. I experimented with the mini-Teklok but found that the CP riding on the outside of my belt caused way too much printing. I grabbed a single soft loop that I had laying around and affixed it in such a way as to ride under the belt and still at a 45 degree angle. Rides nice and tight now with no printing. Great blade and a great way to carry a knife AOWB. Super comfy...I pretty much forget its there.

I also removed some unnecessary material from the kydex sheath.
    Last edited by Irelander; 04-02-2015 at 02:30 PM. Reason: added sheath info

User Tag List