Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EDC Pickal knife preferred carry method?

Thank you for all the responses so far everyone. Abu fitna, I too find issue with the Tek Lock. I think it is a great concept but it just doesn't seem to work well with my body type and mode of dress. Not to mention I can't get the angle I want because the predrilled holes don't match up with the sheath. Speaking of Tek Locks if anyone needs one or two just shoot me a PM. I am not asking for anything and I have two to spare, I will mail them out to anyone here in the US. Here is a photo below of what they look like.

Just out of curiosity does anyone have a BoB from P. Moore and a Clinch Pick? I am interested to know what the difference is in grip length. I might end up picking one up if the grip is significantly shorter. Reason being I am finding that in order to conceal the BoB at a downward cant that gives me ideal access to both strong and weak hand I have to run at less than a 45 degree angle. This is less than ideal for access on weak hand draw. I have to angle my hand by bending at the wrist which feels awkward and I feel compromises grip strength. I think a shorter grip would be more concealable and aid in achieving the angle I want to ease drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Just out of curiosity does anyone have a BoB from P. Moore and a Clinch Pick? I am interested to know what the difference is in grip length. I might end up picking one up if the grip is significantly shorter. Reason being I am finding that in order to conceal the BoB at a downward cant that gives me ideal access to both strong and weak hand I have to run at less than a 45 degree angle. This is less than ideal for access on weak hand draw. I have to angle my hand by bending at the wrist which feels awkward and I feel compromises grip strength. I think a shorter grip would be more concealable and aid in achieving the angle I want to ease drawing.

I don't have a picture since I don't own a BoB but there have been a number come through ECQC's I have been at as well as a couple that have appeared at some of my courses, so I have had the chance to do some comparisons.

The handle of the CP is noticeably shorter and a bit thicker than the Bob handle. THe Bob handle is a bit more like a standard handle where the CP has that odd "egg" shape that Craig found worked so well.

Mr. Burch have you seen a preference towards one or the other in your courses? In your personal experience or knowledge gleaned from others does the handle shape on the Clinch Pick aid in reducing grip slippage significantly over then more standard handle on the BoB? Also, do you think that the difference in grip length would aid significantly in concealment? I also send you a PM about the EWO class in AZ this November.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelBLong View Post
    Lots of us all together. That's what makes it fun.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I'm nobody in charge of nothing but I think the preference is overwhelmingly in favor of the Clinch Pick. Personally I prefer the handle shape and size as well as the edge. The slight curve on the CP makes for what I think is a stronger edge and point. That said, I can't see how, other than size, the BOB cannot replace the CP if needed. I have seen instances where I personally could not satisfactorily conceal a BOB but could a CP. Those instances were purely academic and just me tinkering with sheaths while I possessed the BOB.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Anyone have a line on the Clinch Picks? I can't seem to find one in stock anywhere. When I e-mailed them direct about a week back I was sent links to two vendors and was told they shipped and would be in stock soon. Yet I am unable to locate any in stock. I think I will pick up one for comparison if I can. Thanks for the comparison orion06.

"Official" Clinch Picks are extremely hard to find. The last shipment TAD got in only lasted a few hours.
    Ban Tang makes a really nice CP.
    That said, your BOB is a damn nice version in its own right, you just need to experiment with carry methods to find one that works for you.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Agreed, the BoB is excellent quality to say the least. I am very happy with my purchase but would like to find a Clinch pick for evaluation/comparison purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Mr. Burch have you seen a preference towards one or the other in your courses? In your personal experience or knowledge gleaned from others does the handle shape on the Clinch Pick aid in reducing grip slippage significantly over then more standard handle on the BoB? Also, do you think that the difference in grip length would aid significantly in concealment? I also send you a PM about the EWO class in AZ this November.
    Pretty much what orionz06 said. There is a definite preference for the CP, even by those who have had a BoB but get the chance to handle/run a CP. And the handle of the CP is very much a deeply thought out design that makes for a maximum positive grip while keeping the footprint as small as possible.

As for a "significant" difference in concealment, I would have to say that it would be very much an individual thing. For me, I can say the CP conceals somewhat better than a BoB, but I would not go as far as to say it is significant. Some people with a different build or body type may feel differently. I prefer the CP handle less for the better concealment and more for how great and positive the grip feels in use.

None of that is to say that the BoB is not a very good and useful blade.

I am responding to your PM in just a second.

Apologies, these pictures are awful but I have house guests and stomach flu so I'm just trying to survive

Agree with what everyone else said: nothing at all wrong with the BoB, but the CP just has the little touches that make it a better package.

User Tag List